• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD595 vs HD600 vs HD650

Manny123

Standard Member
I'm no "audiophile" but I do appreciate great sound and want the best. Basically I will be using these headphones on my PC(unamped to start) for music/VoIP/gaming and want to know which ones I should buy.

Thanks!

StevieDvd

I'm no "audiophile" but I do appreciate great sound and want the best. Basically I will be using these headphones on my PC(unamped to start) for music/VoIP/gaming and want to know which ones I should buy.

Thanks!

Unamped would mean that the HD600/HD650 would not be driven sufficiently to merit their use so you'd be wiser to use the HD595.

If you add a headphone amp good enough to drive the HD600/650 then you would get better sound from them but a little less noticeable improvement with the HD595.

All of which supposes that the soundcard you have is good enough, no ppoint in getting the best if the source is still poor.

Given the ames & voip angle you may be better off checking out the gaming threads where a goos setup would be something like the Astro mixamp and Audio Technica ATH-AD700 see here

Drubbing

Unamped would mean that the HD600/HD650 would not be driven sufficiently to merit their use so you'd be wiser to use the HD595.

If you add a headphone amp good enough to drive the HD600/650 then you would get better sound from them but a little less noticeable improvement with the HD595.

All of which supposes that the soundcard you have is good enough, no point in getting the best if the source is still poor.
:thumbsup:

SQ is only as good as your worst component. A great phone will not make up for a poor sound-card. And all stock onboard cards are pretty average.

If you appreciate great sound and want the best (you can afford), it doesn't just happen with the purchase of a good pair of phones. Some phones will need an amp, but even if they don't need amping, I'm a firm believer in quality of source.

RobM

Distinguished Member
SISO :)

I wont break forum rules by avoiding the swear filter, but the I is IN, the O is OUT and S isn't very good..

A good source can make an average pair of headphones sound very good, but a good pair of headphones cannot make a bad source sound better.

So IMO, the investment you would make in the headphones you've listed would be better spent on a headphone amp. This may provide the improvement in quality you're after with your current headphones, so job done. If not, when you can then invest in new headphones, you know you're getting the best from them :thumbsup:

Young Spade

Standard Member
I wouldn't say to go higher than 595s on that list if you aren't going to be amping that signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom