HD555 vs HD595

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by stakyl, Dec 25, 2006.

1. stakyl

stakyl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't decide on which one to get. The 595s are a bit more but are they worth it?

Also, I'm a starting audiophile who is going to school for Production/Engineering and I have a PC with an Audigy 2ZS soundcard and don't plan on getting a desktop amp anytime soon (I'm in college, money is a tad tight) so would it be worth it to wait until I can afford something like an AKG 701? Are they worth the considerable amount of extra cash?

Thanks

2. DorKnight

DorKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The 701 is good, however, you need a really good amp for them to shine.

If you can afford the 595 then go for it, they will also improve with an amp when you progress down the line.

3. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    If you intend to upgrade at some stage, i'd just slum it and get something like some PX100's or KSC75's for about £20 or less and then when you have decent equipment to drive decent headphones, go for the best.

I've learned the hard way that this is the best way.

4. DorKnight

DorKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    That's another option and the Koss are amazing value for money, however, just how long would the Op be looking at before purchasing an Amp/Changing the Source etc?

If a while then I would just get the 595's, if it's just a case of a couple of months then go with pbirketts option.

5. stakyl

stakyl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's going to be at least a year or more until I can afford a decent amp.

I'm also thinking of getting an MBOX2 in a month or so, would that replace my need for an amp or would I still need to get one?

6. DorKnight

DorKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I've not had any experience or read anything on the Mbox2 so I cannot comment on that, sorry.