1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 wma files?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shirleywhite, Jun 2, 2005.

1. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    There's a quick review of HD5 in today's Guardian (Online section) - very positive ( size,battery life etc) But clearly says " compatible with Wma as well as Atracs and MP3s" Is this correct?? I thought it was just Atrac and MP3?? Didnt think Sonic Stage played Wma?? Can anyone confirm either way please??

2. phlker1

phlker1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WMA files cannot be played on the HD5 as they are, but when you transfer them to your player they will be converted to Atrac3.

3. bydandie

bydandie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Will the conversion result in lower quality?

4. phlker1

phlker1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose it depends on what bitrate the files were originally recorded in.
    Most of my WMA's were recorded at 96kbps, when I transferred them to my HD5 they were converted to Atrac3 132kbps and the sound quality is just as good if not better. SonicStage will only convert WMA files automatically to a bitrate that is equivalent or lower than the original file.
    However you can convert WMA or MP3 files in my library to Atrac3 at any bitrate you choose, manually prior to transfer to your player. But to be honest I don't know if you would gain anything in sound quality by increasing the bitrate higher than the original, perhaps some else might know the answer to that?