1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 versus HD3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Cardiff Irons, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried a search, but can't seem to find these answers:

1. Are there any major differences between HD3 & HD5 (apart from battery life)?
    2. Is the old gripe regarding conversion to ATRAC? software related rather than hardware related (therefore, if you use SS3.1 with an HD3 can you convert straight to mp3)?
    3. I assume conversion to mp3 means that you can upload them from your portable to a laptop. Can anyone confirm?
    4. Can you drag and drop music files (using explorer) with the HD3 and HD5?

Thanks guys. I'm leaning heavily towards the Sony, but like the looks of the HD3 compared with HD5. These answers will help the decision making. :smashin:

2. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the fact you get 10 hours extra on the battery is why im going for the HD5 and not the HD3.

3. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    basicaly they are the same apart from looks and the battery thing. there isnt much to choose between em, if you can get a hd3 cheaper i would go for that but if you really want the few benifits from the hd5 go for that.

4. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

So am I correct in thinking that it is Sonic Stage 3.1 that makes the mp3 conversion possible, nothing to do with whether it's a HD3 or HD5? (that'll answer my question2).

watchinthewheel - do you know the answers to 3 & 4?

Cheers. :thumbsup:

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    As far as i know there is no easy way to convert ATRAC to MP3 but you can convert MP3 to ATRAC within Sonic Stage so use MP3 as basis and then import for use on the HDX in Sonic Stage

6. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx HD. I'm quite keen to avoid ATRAC as my understanding is that once you get it on your portable, you then can't convert back to play on a PC (which is a bugger considering my future plans to share music via Roku or similar). I'd pretty much discounted the Sony, but then it seemed the SS3.1 allows mp3 conversion rather than ATRAC.

If the HD3 and HD5 are similar in features, I may plump for the HD3 cos it looks prettier (IMHO).

It's that or the iriver 320, which I prefer overall but not quite sure I could live with that carbon effect case!!!

Or I could wait for the 20GB iriver H10 - that's got the features and the looks, but not out till the Autumn.

Decisions, decisions.... :confused:

7. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3)probably not, you cant do it with the hd3, although it MAY be possible if you authorise your player, i havent so cant confirm but i dont think so.

4)no you have to use sonic stage or vio transfer, personly i dont have too much trouble using ss and i haven heard people who swear by vio transfer, no drag and drop though, sorry.

converting atrac to mp3, i dont think can be done but if i were going to try i would use winamp, mp3 writer plugins are easy to find and if you could find an atrac input plugin your ready to go, i have never tried this and dunno if an atrac plugin exists but i would start there if i had to. personaly though i dont like atrac and just use cdex to convert from cd to mp3 and winamp to convert from anything else to mp3 to put em on my hd3. i refuse to use any format limited by manufacturer such as atratc.

8. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The other thing to consider is the fact the charging/usb is integrated into the HD5.

With the HD3 it isn't and comes with the add on which is small and not bad, but would be nice to be integrated. Just depends if you will be carrying cables around as the adapter is another thing to take with you, and expensive to replace should you loose it.

9. SP303

SP303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both will have the same MP3 issues, you can play MP3's on either no problems. However you cant download them off the player onto someone elses PC. Your best bet is to make MP3's of all your songs via whatvere software you like. Then import them into sonicstage so you still have the original MP3 copies. Hope this makes sense.

You cant just drag and drop music files onto the players, you need to use sonicstage. If you want to transfer music files from one pc to another I think you may be able to use the hard drive part of the player. You can drag and drop files onto the player that way. However it wont play any music files you do this way. Music files you want to play have to be done with sonicstage.

As for diferences, from what I have seen the HD5 has a few nice extra things. Firstly it looks like it will have playlists, which hopefully means you might be able to queue up songs to play (like winamp) which the HD3 does not have. It also lets you search for music using an A-Z search, which will make things easier when you have a big list. Then there are the physical things. Most noticably being the direct plug in of USB lead and charger (the HD3 uses a fragile box that you plug these into, then that goes into the HD3) so thats a definite plus. The lock keys button looks a lot bigger and easier to use on the HD5, its quite fiddly on the HD3. Finally as mentioned above, the battery is bigger and can be removed, which is very good for extending the lifetime of it.

Hope some of this helps.

Oh and there is the fact you can use it sideways or longways (HD3 style or iPod style) and the screen is larger than on the HD3. Think thats it :D

10. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, helpful stuff. Love the thought of the HD5 being able to handle on the fly playlists. :thumbsup:

So, I guess it's an HD5 for me.......unless that iriver H10 20GB is available in the next month or so. ;)

11. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed this is turning out to be quite a Cardiff based thread!

12. SP303

SP303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right if this works click here and see then you can see a Japanese web site, translated via google. Ok a lot of it makes no sense but you get an idea on some of it plus some good pictures.

The playlist function does not add duplicate copies of the same track, unlike the HD3, so thats cool. Just looks like you have to create a playlist with sonicstage though.

The A-Z seach looks great though, and should save time when you want something in the middle of your list.

As I said above the hold button looks a lot better, and I like the fact the charge and usb ports are direct and also hidden away when not needed.

13. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Top job SP303 - thats really helpful and some great pics. Love the ipod size comparison - they couldn't help themselves could they. :D

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    About SonicSatge. I don't think its too bad. OK it does seem to be hardware intensive, just make sure u have a decent amount of RAM - more than 256mb. Or try pushing virtual memory (start menu, right click on My computer, properties, advanced, performance settings). This just uses some of ur hard disk temporarily as RAM space.

Its now ver3.1 and isn't hard to use - not like u need to be a genius :rolleyes: Better layout and clearer.

Most gripes I read people have on SS is renaming tracks/albums. About that:
    I found change libary view to all tracks. Right click on 1st track + choose rename. After u type in new name, don't press enter to confirm, just press DOWN button to go to next track. But everyone knew that right? And renaming album, right click on album and rename.

Although it is harder to change settings 4 multiple songs e.g genre. But auto go on internet to get CD info so.....

Edit: u can't drag and drop. Priracy and that (can't on virtually all HD players though). Must use SS. And new 3.1 version has inc MP3 encoder. Actually before 3.1 u could still put MP3's on HD3. Just needed different program to make MP3's. I don't think some people realise, if u tell SS not to auto convert Mp3's to Sony's own Atrac before transferring to HD3, it won't! Just need to change settings in menu....

Also Atrac has gapless play. MP3 doesn't. Don't know why. Might change for HD5?

Atrac for: gapless play
    Atrac 256 kbps better than MP3 320 kpbs (my opinion)

Mp3 for: compatability with future audio products
    Sony may abandon Atrac? - due to pressure

15. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent info LFC. Many thanks. :smashin:

16. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    hd5 is credit card size also the display is always the right way up which ever way you hold it ie if you take it out of your pocket upside down the screen automaticly changes to the right way up :thumbsup:

17. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    According to this website, it is very difficult, but not impossible, to get MP3 to play gapless because of the way it is encoded.

http://www.pretentiousname.com/mp3players/

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    mcfarfs, theres a quote button! :D

Also HD5 has improved battery life 40 hrs + its a removable battery, not sure how much it'll cost to buy a replacement. OK, if u have ur music @ high quality, and u mess with unit often, its unlikely to make the magical 40hrs. But since with my HD3, I get 23-25hrs, I reckon u'll get at least 30 hrs. OK 10 less than full potential, but easily double a certain market leader.... :thumbsup:

19. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeh, I know! When I deleted part of your post for the quote, I accidently deleted one of the ['s. Didn't notice until now though! :oops: