1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 Vaja case - SWEET!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by drmoze, Sep 23, 2005.

1. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Vaja case for the HD5 just arrived today. As expected (and hoped for), my initial impressions are very positive. Here are some observations that might not be obvious from the pix and info on the website.

I picked up the wine-red (single-color) case for my silver HD5, no clip or customization. The overall fit and finish are really superb. The other leather cases (Sony and the fliptop) look very cheap in comparison. (Then again, they do cost a fair bit less!) The Vaja fits it like a tight glove, giving the appearance of a single leatherized unit rather than a case plus a player.

The case gives the HD5 nice rounded edges. No raw edges are visible anywhere, as the borders are all turned-in rounded leather on all sides. The interior is covered by black material that has a subtle repeating Vaja logo on it.

The fit is very tight, and the HD5 is hard to remove once inserted. Not that you need to--the only reason would be to access the battery.

The case is very firm and well-padded. It feels like it has a springy metal plate or the like inside. It seems to offer a lot of protection, even if it were dropped accidentally. The case brings the total thickness to about 2.2 cm (about 0.9"). It doesn't seem as tiny as the bare HD5 but it doesn't seem big or feel heavy either. The leather feels soft and smells good too! Very high-quality leather, as with most Vaja products.

The cutout in front (and the top edges too) is perfectly contoured to the HD5, leaving aboiut 1mm of the HD5 face exposed at the screen edges and widening a bit around the button edges. Set into the front of the case is a heavy plastic screen protector, slightly flexible, that extends just to the top of the button area. It also surrounds the button area cutout with an exposed clear border about 2mm wide (extending inward from the leather edges of the cutout area). Even here, the leather edges are smoothly rounded and turned in over the plastic protector.

When operating the corner buttons, the edge of your finger will contach the edge of the plastic protector. This isn't a problem and feels pretty comfortable. Just send your fingertip to the corner of the cutout and press. The plastic over the screen and around the buttons is raised slightly from the front of the HD5, maybe just under 2mm away from the front.

Overall, it looks like my HD5 grew a smoothly-rounded leather skin, whch appears to fit better than a glove. It really looks to be part of the player itself and not just a cover or holder. And the quality is readily apparent. I don't think I will be taking it off the HD5 anytime soon. I know it is a fairly expensive cover, but even so I think it is worth the price. It gives the 'cold' HD5 a smoother look, kind of like a quality accessory as opposed to a hi-tech gadget. It's a bit hard to explain but I'm trying...

To summarize, I do really like the Vaja case. I will report back on how it wears. I usually keep the HD5 in my pocket and use the 35SLK (or whatever) remote clipped to my shirt pocket.

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please, drmoze, can we have some piccys!!!

3. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    And link where did You buy it from?

4. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered it directly from the Vaja website. I think that's the only place to ge tthem. Each case is custom-made to order. I'll try to get pix up soon.

5. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
  6. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the sight and I am quite interested in getting one too - the only problem is I want to choose the colours - choose the front and back colour that I want - it is not in one of the combinations they are offering.

Thing is - if they custom make it, why can't I choose exactely the colours I like? Or have I missed something... :)

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    Vaga have asked me to let you know that by going to www.vajachoice.com you can customise the colours completely.

8. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very nice. I've just ordered one for my H340.

9. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I still love my Vaja case. Even though I usually use the 35ELK remote and keep the player in my pocket. It is holding up well.

10. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    hi drmoze...

i just placed an order for a vaja case this morning for my hd5... how long did it take yours to arrive?

cheers,
    mick

11. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    About 2.5-3 weeks. Shipment was fast, most of the delay is to make the case.

12. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Got my case yesterday.. their nice cases... wish i had one from the start and my player would be scratch free.. at least you cant see the scratches when its in the case... nice case though and looks cool...

13. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    About a week after my case arrived I got a bill from the shipper (FedEx, I think) for over £12 VAT (including a £5 'admin' charge). That put a bit of a dampener on things. I am pleased with the case, but it is not so much better than the case that came with the DAP (iRiver H340) so I'm not sure that I would recommend it to another H340 owner. I can't fault the manufacturer's quality or supply though. Exactly as described

14. GTSkater

GTSkater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

The Vaja case for my NW-HD5 just turned up. It's nice, a snug fit and looks pretty cool. They are expensive though so I expect the test of time will be how long it lasts. Good impressions though and would recommend.