1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 -- Sonic Stage Sucks 3.1; alternatives??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by williamvdn, May 29, 2005.

1. williamvdn

williamvdn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the fact that sonic stage is a crappy program; does anyone knows of a good program to sync with the HD5/3? I've tried WinAmp so far, but that wasn't really a succes.

Any suggestions???

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    If you only use MP3's you might wanna give the drag n' drop utility on here a go ....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214362&highlight=drag

Not for me as I use ATRAC so I'm forced to stick with SS however frustrating.

Obviously you would need to manage track / artist info etc. in Media Player or something and just use this utility to physically transfer the tracks.

You might like it, might not.

3. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep ss sucks nope no real alternative though

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Why does it suck... 3.1 is much better than the other versions and works fine for me.. what are ppl trying to do that causes so much grief ?

I get it to scan my mp3 tree.. the albums are all grouped properly.. I attach my album art and then sync it up with my vaio pocket ?

Matt

5. williamvdn

williamvdn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why does it suck? Well for example; if you have the 'album view' and there are various artists on the CD you get every bloody artist shown seperately; so i've got an enormous list wich is totally uselles. Also the editing functions are very limited, e.g. you cannot edit a group of songs to change the album title or genre.
    It's because of these and other tiny flaws that sonicstage sometimes REALLY got on my nerves and therefore I stopped using it. Compared to Winamp and even WMP it's rubbish, at least that's my opinion of course :lesson: .

I can highly recommend the drag and drop utility prog, mentioned earlier in this thread. It's plain and easy, you just have to make sure that you edit the id3tag with winamp or wmp before you copy it to your HD*.

6. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm not sure that it will work with the HD5 as I haven't got mine yet...but my creative zen syncs with realplayer...and I know all of you will be screaming at that! But it isn't that bad! It's easier than the Creative software!

7. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Bold 1 - Go to search, type in the album name. Then highlight the songs (click the top one hold shift and click the bottom one) right click on them and select properties. Then check "Tracks in the compilation albums", job done! They should all be under one album.

Bold 2 - As I said previously, select all the songs in question and right click - properties.

8. OneMoreSolo

OneMoreSolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    You saved me the job of explaining. I don't know why everyone hates SS. I've had no problems with it at all.

9. dzysheep

dzysheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

i was a bit worried when i first got my HD5 after hearing all the bad stories re ss.

after using it, i actually quite like it. i mean it is not as user friendly as itunes, but it is getting pretty close

10. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry you are wrong on both reason sited against SS3.1. Firstly, if you go into the properties of an album then you will notice a check box saying 'compilation', check this box and all tracks sit in the one album and the artist is filed under the name of the album artist; you can change this property too.

Secondly, if you select more than 1 track within an album you can change their properties at the same time. Easy!

11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    I think when SS used to be unbearable - 3.1 is a big improvement - the consensus was to dismiss Sony until SS was sorted. So now, people who haven't even used SS say its rubbish, without giving it a chance!

of course iTunes is the pace setter, but most problems with SS is a simple case of reading the included manual with SS!

12. meddyliol

meddyliol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :lease:
    Could you please expand on this for me please? Where is the 'search'. If I import a compilation album or a bunch of different artists they are still spread all over the place.

Any further explanation will be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I am so stupid.

Brian :devil:

13. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ok. Note this is using SS 3.1, I do not know if is the same for previous versions.

On the "My Library" page, make sure you are in album view.

Beneath the play/pause button, there is a drop down menu which says "Albums/Playlists". Click on this, and select "All Tracks". You should now have a search box, with all the tracks in your library in front of you.

Then, as I said previously, type in the name of the album in question and highlight all the tracks using the shift button. Then right click - properties - check the box.

Job done! Hope this helps.

14. williamvdn

williamvdn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Definetely making ss much easier to use. Slowly adjusting my opinion regarding sonicstage...though not completely there yet, for following versions they should take a better look at the competition, winamp and wmp still alot better.