1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 seizing up

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by daveb975, Jul 19, 2005.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    My HD5 completely crashed today.

I used it as normal in the morning. When I came to turn it on tonight, it would not boot up, but the walkman logo was permanently displayed on the screen.

Nothing wouls start the player, so I removed the battery and this seems to have sorted it, except for the fact the batter level has gone down from 4/4 to 1/4.

Anyone else had anything like this?

2. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yeah, crashing has been a bit of a problem. Almost as big as the cracks issue for some (me). Have you updated the firmware to version 1.2? That should (might) fix it. there is a thread here somewhere all about it.

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
  4. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yep, i've had it happen a couple of times, but it seems to be only on a couple of tracks - twice on one MP3 so I'm gonna re-encode when i get the chance to see if it's corruption in the tracks which is causing the lock up.

AB.

5. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Interestingly I have had the HD5 crash once since installing the update but previously where it would just freeze and require a battery removal to reset it, this time it shut itself down after beeping frantically and displaying a 'sytem error' message. The message did say something else but i couldn't get it out of my pocket quickly enough to read all of what it said. Is it possible that the update has not cured the actual crashing, just made the recovery easier?

Since installing the update I've aslo had my screen 'die' on two occaisions. When i have gone to change tracks the screen is lit but there is no info there. i've had to switch off to bring the screen back to life. what's that all about, certainly didn't happen before the update.

6. thx25

thx25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cracked buttons and it crashed on me way to many times for me to remember so it is back in a sony skip somewhere. HD1 was a great lil player but this thing is not even well styled in my opinion.

Using an ipod 60gig at the mo with no problems and it rocks!

Never thought I would become a part of the wuite earphone brigade..... Sony has let me down!!!

Ryan

7. maren

maren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HD5 froze a few days back. After a few hours it went black, and does now not respond to anything I've tried so far (recharging, swapping battery++). Any tip? Am still hoping to be able to resurrect it, the idea of starting complaining to sony does not exactly intrigue me...

8. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be hard disc problem. My HD5 crashed at boot up for a while until I sent it back to Sony and they replaced the hard drive for free

9. masahiro

masahiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eeks. This thread has me a little worried. Are there any people who have NOT had these sorts of problems on their HD5?

I just bought mine, so I don't have much experience to speak from.

10. mascis

mascis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Nope. Have had the HD5 for 6 months now and is in use heavily (more so in the last two months..had to travel frequently every week)...havent crashed once.

Dont know if you can call it a crash or whatever...but once after disconnecting it from the pc..i threw the player on the bed (had to use the toilet) and when i came back, i realised what i did screwed the "updating database" thingy and left the player without any tracks. Just had to plug it back to the pc and disconnect it again to fix that..just so you know

11. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the HD1 serves as a reference, I've had it for more than a year and a half and the few times it froze, disconnecting the battery returned it to normal state.

12. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think mine died because it was delivered by a courier who decided to throw it over our 6 foot high fence into our back yard.