1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 - Line Out

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Aug 5, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a little tip for anyone as stupid as me: Don't be tempted to do as I did last night and risk perforated eardrums/knackered phones by switching from 'Headphones' to 'Line Out' in Audio Output settings while listening to tracks THROUGH YOUR HEADPHONES!!!

By God, it's deafening :suicide:

On the plus side, also tried switching to Line Out and using a bog-standard FM transmitter through my hifi - works an absolute treat. Very loud, very clear, and better than I'd expected given my crappy home equipment.

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahaha Ive done that too!...By accident....keep forgetting to switch it over when i put my headphones in and man it gives me a big shock, thing is it isnt just loud, its distorted and crackling, obviously not enough power to deliver at such volume to headphones, or could be the phones.....either way its aweful........but it is excellent when you set it to line out and actually use it for line out....sounds like CD quality. :)

3. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    LOL....I thought it was just me!!
    I received my HD5H yesterday and managed to do the same. Thankfully I was wearing the crappy headphones that come as standard.

4. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One way of getting round making this mistake is to get some headphones with a remote - you know, the ones that an extra bit where you plug them into your HD5. It seems to know that the difference between this & an ordinary connector cable & switches the output over automatically. You still need to change the output over to line out when you plug into your home system though. Saves your eardrums anyway!

5. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having my HD3 plugged into my amp i do it amost everyday when i walk out the front door. You would have thought i'd learn by now. Or maybe its just deafing me slowly so i don't notice anymore.

6. Dokken

Dokken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Shadowritten,

What fm transmitter do you use? Is it any good, how much did it cost and where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking.

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the wife's: a Ross one she got off eBay for £10. Takes two AAA batts, and does a pretty good job through my entry-level Technics system.

8. WAYNE509

WAYNE509

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Kind of following up on this thread err

For use in the car would you use the cassette adaptor(yes i know but you just dont have good sounds in the wifes car :D ) or the FM transmitter.

Cassette gotta be better right?

9. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an old cassette adaptor that came with my old sony car diskman. Of couse it was useless since it had the very first Electronic Skip protection and would skip every 2 seconds unless you held it sideways. So i never used the tape until i got the HD5 and its excellent quality in the car.....makes a little noise when its playing, but i can't notice it anymore.
    You would never have been able to tell it was a cassette, from a portable player. And my speakers are not bad.

10. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got me a line out cable. Boy, I'm impressed! Even through my entry-level set-up, the sound is fantastic. Particularly when you consider the following:

1) Downloaded a 160kbps MP3 from the Net

2) Converted it to WAV

3) Turned into back into a 320kbps MP3

4) Converted it to 64kbps ATRAC3Plus

Why? Just to test how all this mucking about would harm the SQ. And you know what? Can't discern any noticeable difference. Still sounds superb!

Man, my ears must be screwed ...

11. mrflabby

mrflabby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a way to get a line-in for the car stereo/does it depend on which stereo you are talking about? I'd love to be able to connect my hd5 to my car stereo and fm transmitters have such bad reviews!
    Thanks!

12. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use a cassette adaptor for your car. Its excellent.

13. mrflabby

mrflabby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a cd stereo so unfortunatelly no cassette adaptors for me. :mad:

That was the reason for my post.

14. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, how annoying, you'll probably have to use a radio transmitter, unless you have a line input socket on the front of the stereo.

15. AlexGarfield

AlexGarfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol i was playing with the menu too. it scared me real bad

16. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an aside, also tried my old Zen Touch using my new line out cable (JVC, in case it matters!), and while the Touch doesn't have line out capabilities, it does perform surprising well on volume/headphone output alone.

17. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A lot of modern car stereos have a line in at the rear. Sony's I beleive do, for example. There may even be kits to hack the input for a CD multichanger... That would open up potential on a lot of cars (VW's use Sony for a while as their autochanger)

18. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Line in at the rear? Other than Sony, do you know which brands?

19. turbo1

turbo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 phonoes to a amp in the boot wired to the speakers (brill) :clap:

20. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yup, happened to me too with my earbuds, turned up to full volume! Scared the living crap out of me. Sony should put on a first-time warning.

21. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm paranoid every time I press play, I can never remember if its set to line out or not. There should be a symbol on the playback screen if it is...another bad move by sony.

22. jaskaran

jaskaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, anyone know if the hd5 will be compatible with these new bitrates on sonicstage 3.2, i tryed a 320kbps atrac3plus and it didnt work, but a 192kbps atrac3plus DOES work in some cases?? wondering if sony could make a firmware update.