1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 - letter to sony

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jjust, Aug 26, 2005.

1. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I just sent to Sony. Think I've had a pretty bad run :( Funny thing is the sound is good, but the errors are way worse than the cosmetic stuff.

Hi I just bought the Sony HD5 and I am having the following problems:

a) Sometimes the player stops mid playback giving the SYSTEM ERROR 020 error. I have installed the latest firmware from sony v1.2 which is supposed to correct this; but this problem still occurs.
    b) When the display LCD lights up, there are two very distinct vertical lines running all the way down the screen. At times, these lines are much more noticable than others.
    c) There is a bunch of dust and even a HAIR underneath the screen, which is highly distracting
    d) Sometimes the sound becomes garbled (sounds like a CD skipping) when playing back long tracks. At first I thought it was a bad/corrupt music file; but then when I replayed the same file both on the HD5 and on my computer, the track plays through completely. This seems to occur randomly, and occurs either when the unit is stationary or in motion (i.e. when I'm walking).
    e) When playing back VBR mp3 files, the counter goes haywire when fastfowarding/rewinded. I've asked other HD5 users who say their counter 'recovers' after a few seconds; but many times on my HD5 the counter fails to recover and will, for instance, show that the track is at the end; yet still continue to play.

These problems are slightly complicated by the fact that I am moving to the UK in less than 3 weeks, so I would like these issues resolved before whilst it is still under warranty....

Thanks for your help.

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on point b) Yes I noticed this from day 1, the LCD is so cheap that whenever there is a vertical line whether short or long it seems that the rest of that vertical row has a ghost line, which is very noticable when the proper line is longer. Eg. box that tells you that you cant change volume in line out mode or similar.

On point e) I said in one of the other threads that it doesn't ever recover until you reset the song, like you said.

Fairly good but brief list of problems, good on you for emailing it to them ;) when I did they never replied, so i hope they reply to yours.

3. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hate to tell you this, Sasso, but mine doesn't do anything like that. By the way, is your screen set to positive or negative? I use negative (white on black) because, apart from looking nicer, there's much less vertical streaking and smearing.

Andrew

4. dreamweaver

dreamweaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one stupid question . if the LCD's changed to negative does it use more battery ? well , what in my mind is it has to show more dots .

LOL

5. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dreamweaver,

Do you mean will it use more battery if it's positive? White background is positive; black background is negative. So positive is when "it has to show more dots". But as for whether it uses more battery: I don't know, but I doubt it.

Andrew

6. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It will use more battery, but as the switching voltage for an LCD is so small it will probably be almost negligible compared with other drains on the battery, backlight, searching the database, fastforwarding, etc...

7. dreamweaver

dreamweaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep

correct me if i'm wrong but I think negative is the one

thanks both for information :)

8. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its positive. I forgot to tell you, to see it clearly you have to look at the screen at an angle, as in from the top or bottom so it kinda inverts itself and you can see all the crappy lines and cheapness (not too much of an angle). With negative its a bit harder to see since the line is a ghost, it looks black still, try it on positive, look at the access screen or some kind of box like that and it will do it. I hope. Or its just mine again. Thanks

9. DaveA

DaveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's only one thing worse than crap quality, and that's inconsistent quality.

Sony (and most Jap manufacturers) sorted their quality production and control (Kaizen methods etc) decades ago, and it revolutionised their products in the market place in terms of consistency and reliability.

In most cases the west has caught up, and the Japanese manufacturers have turned their products into far more stylish icons (Sony Walkman being the obvious choice). The problem is that the accountants running most firms demand continuous improvement in pricing components which squeezes the suppliers and production process.

Shorter and shorter product lifecycles also reduces the time available to get to the shelf for testing and resolving issues.

Most products nowerdays have to be a compromise between quality and profitability simply to keep the companies afloat. NW5 is a member of this group.

I don't want to make like i am bashing Sony, but they have fallen furthest, simply because they set the standards highest to start with.

10. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about your HD5, but as for which mode uses more battery, I would guess that the white background mode would, because when the HD5 is off, the screen is Black. So that means when theres no power running through it, its black, but when it needs to display information, it lights up the neccesary pixels on the LCD screen. But when it is on white mode, it lights up all the pixels and doesnt light up the ones it doesnt have to (the text and so forth), thats something that I've noticed, and I would thnk that would make sense, as with any other LCD device, thats how it works, but yea, just a guess.

-Sulk

11. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    See, this is why there so many posts about the HD5 :)

Andrew

12. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reply from sony - doubt this could be fixed before I go!!:

Thank you for your enquiry.

From your description we would recommend having the unit looked at by an Authorised Service Centre.

To find the closest service centre to your location, please use the Service Centre Finder located on our website. The link below will take you directly to the correct page.

http://www.sony.com.au/support/service/index.jsp?categoryId=21640

Regards,
    Customer Contact Centre
    Sony Australia Limited

For more information on our products and services please visit our website at www.sony.com.au