HD5 Help ATRAC3Plus or MP3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by AaronW, Aug 5, 2005.

1. AaronW

AaronW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

I am thinking about buying a HD5 today. I am a bit unsure about what to rip MD CDs in.

I rip my CDs on my computer at 320k bit rate and play them back using Windows Media player. What should I do to put them on the HD5? Should I use SonicStage 3.2 and put it on as the full 320k MP3 or do I need to re-rip it as ATRAC3Plus at 320k?

What would you do if you wanted to keep your MP3s on your computer?

What bit rate would I need to rip a 320k MP3 into a ATRAC3Plus to be the same quality?

Many thanks for any help. :smashin:

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MP3s can be converted into ATRAC3 or ATRAC3Plus using Sony's SonicStage software, supplied with the HD5. But your MP3 conversions will NOT then play gaplessly - you need to rip the original discs into ATRAC3Plus directly.

As to bitrates, I'm personally very happy with the low 64kbps ATRAC3Plus - means I can fit my ENORMOUS CD collection onto my HD5H! Most on here will, however, advise you to go no lower than 128kbps. Remember, however, that if hard drive space won't be an issue, you can always use SonicStage to put your 320kbps MP3s straight onto your HD5 - they'll play without conversion. You can then leave the originals untouched on your PC.

If you intend to rip using SonicStage, be sure to turn off copy protection (Tools\Options\CD Importing ... something like that), then you won't have problems moving files from PC to PC later.

I'll let someone else answer the question about comparable MP3/ATRAC bitrates - expect they'll say choose 256kbps ATRAC3Plus.

One final thing: you can ONLY use SonicStage to transfer tracks to and from your new device.

Hope this helps.

3. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It really depends how many CDs you have and if you want to take the time to re-rip. But its definately worth it, for the gapless playback, higher quality sound, and better equaliser settings.
    I personally use Atrac3+256k, you can notice the difference to 64k since its such a big gap. If I could i would use 128 or 192k but the player doesnt support those new bitrates yet. So use 256 and as shadow said, make sure copy protection is off, its just a pain in the butt.
    If you convert to atrac from mp3 you will lose quality, and apparently create gaps between the songs. Once you rip all of your CDs into atrac then you can delete them or back them up, or just leave it on the computer.
    SonicStage isn't the only way but its the best way to transfer songs. You can't transfer off the player.
    A comparable rate of atrac to mp3 would be about half the bitrate. so for 320 about 160 (just realised you can do this rate too) would be equiv. But dont forget you can only use 48, 64, 132 (old version not as good), and 256 at the moment, the rest will just force you to covert them during transfer to once of the above.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I find Atrac3 at 256 excellent, and certainly better than the same cd ripped at 320 mp3.
    If I am limited to a 50 albums on my player at once then so be it, prefer to have better quality personally.

5. robhimself

robhimself

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rip my cds to wmp just like aaron, and i imported them into my library in sonicstage before uploading them to the player. But this took as long as it would to listen to all of the tracks. I've had my player for about 5 days now, and today i got a chance to finally use it. But the music skips, and the quality isn't very good. These problems combined with the horrible sonicstage software made me want to return the player. But reading posts here has got me thinking about this ATRAC3 business. I have already spent alot of time on this mp3 and it has not proved satisfactory yet, shall i keep going?
    And do i need to re-rip all my cds into the ATRAC3 format?

6. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe the HD5 handles 192 kbps Atrac3+ encoding. I plan to rip my cd collection at that rate (a compromise of very good audio quality, reasonable file size, and the very critical gapless playback!).

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I just rip any CDs at as high a bit rate as possible. I don't have too much music on there and have oodles of space to fill.