1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 headphone output?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by aldrack, Aug 6, 2005.

1. aldrack

aldrack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know what the output is for hd5?

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    5mw into 16 ohms.

3. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this why it has trouble driving my mdr ex81's? The stock buds are much louder than the ex81's for some reason..

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Try the volume hack if you haven't done so. That basically brings it up to 5mw. The EX71's are less efficient than the stock buds, so you get less volume. They're certainly slightly borderline as far as effectively running them out of the Sony's headphone out is concerned, but you should be able to get a decent volume. If that doesn't work, most non-Sony players supply more volume, or you can invest in a headphone amp.

5. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah volume hack applied. I have most of my music "mp3 gained" and a lot of tracks are too quiet even at full volume with the ex81's. I kind of had to resort to using the stock buds heh. Could you recommend some good phones for the hd5? Cheers!

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sorry about the 71 typo. The 81 fits looser, so jamming them into your ears more (if the badly designed ear clips allow you to) then that would certainly increase the feeling of volume. Apart from that, the Shure E2c's would be more efficient than the EX81, plus it offers higher isolation so the effective volume would be higher. That's pretty much one of the most efficient phones you'll get this side of £300. Other phones for a little more may give you better sound, but they wouldn't necessarily be much more efficient.

7. aldrack

aldrack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate :)

8. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply. I was reading that the rio karma has a 55mw/ch output! that's incredible. That's 10x the sony. I ordered a refurb unit off microdirect as I've always been curious as to how good these are.

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    In terms of what you hear it's not 10x. It doesn't work like that. The Sonys are borderline for driving a lot of the better cans though, so I can't recommend them once you get serious about audio in any case.

The iPod has 30mw into 32 ohms, and the Karma has 55mw claimed into 16 ohms. Both are about the same once you disable the Euro cap.

The Karma is a cracking player. The only way it shows it's age is the fact that it's twice as thick as the Sony HD5 and that the software is a tad buggier than the current incarnation of Sonicstage. In all other respects, it's light years ahead of the HD5 in terms of function as a music player. It's my very, very close second favourite to the iPod.