1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5/HD5H - Skippy when hot

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Jul 27, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the past, I've always ignored manufacturers' specifications about normal/optimum operating temperatures for electronic goods. But last week, I learned from personal experience why it may not be wise do this with the HD5/HD5H.

On a hot day, I was wearing jeans with particularly tight pockets - stuffed into one of which was my HD5H. It had been running for a couple of hours solidly, in playlist mode. Suddenly, it skipped a whole track and went back to playing from near the start of the playlist - completely randomly! Later, it just switched off during normal playback.

I switched off the player, put it somewhere cool, then ran the same tracks/playlist right through again, with the unit on my desk at work rather than in my pocket. Everything was fine. Can only assume it was a heat-related hiccup - hot day, plus a human body temp. of over 38 degrees, I guess (upper limit for HD5/HD5H is 35 degrees).

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might have to revise my thinking on the above. We've had hot days since then, and in similar circumstances, there's been no recurrence of the problem I detailed.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Meh...

Oh, Shadow, are you trying to get the whole 1st page of the MP3 forum to be full of threads started by you?

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops! Sorry! Was going back through the archives and kept seeing things I wanted to add.

How vain!!

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can confirm that the HD5 definitely DOESN'T like hot operating conditions! Left in on a metal table outside a cafe in sunny weather. Tried playing about 10 mins later - no display! Everything worked fine except this. Let it cool down and all was well again ...

6. blitter

blitter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Seville (south of Spain) where we usually have 40-45 ºCelsius (on shadow). I have my black (hotter) HD5 since June and used it with no problems. I usually carry it in the pockets of my jeans or in a black bag. I usually use it in my car (dark gray, hotter) with no problems.

Maybe you have faulty units. I haven't seen any of that problems with my unit so far.

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ... could be.

8. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure it is'nt something todo with the running?

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure I understand? The running?

10. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, very embrassing i can't read. Though you said you have been running!

11. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah. You were running solidly for 2 hours on a hot day. Training for a marathon can be brutal, eh? ;)

12. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very good! :smashin:

Still think my problem might be heat related. Doesn't occur under any other easily replicable conditions ...

13. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The LCD display can be affected by heat. If you have an OLD LCD watch heat the display with a hair dryer. The characters will disappear, let it cool down and the characters will re-appear. (At least they should if you haven't permanently melted the screen lining!)

The LCD changes phase with heat and can no longer be aligned correctly by the electrodes.