1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd5 hard drive windup heard through headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by motleycrew, Jun 22, 2005.

1. motleycrew

motleycrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am on my second HD5, 1st silver now black...am using high quality e4c headphones and can hear hard drive access through the phones (both players) anyone else notice this?

2. thx25

thx25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a problem I have had. Have you tried a different set of headphones to rule that out?

3. motleycrew

motleycrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tried both ER6i and E4c's, what kind of headphones are you using?
    You will hear it most clearly when you first turn the unit on.
    It is not constant just during hard drive access.
    Didnt notice it so much with cheap stock earphones (sonys and ipod).

4. Linkable

Linkable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, I can't hear it. I'm using Sony ED2's

5. Plugman

Plugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I had a silver one as well and I heard it but only at times generally when the battery had dropped one division (ie three quarter full) what with that cracked buttons, and a very flimsy top cover for the usb cable I decided it was just shoddy and not up to Sony's usual standard. Didn't even think that the screen was that good and not clear when scrolling. Apart from the Sound quality which is excellent size and replacement battery I really cannot understand why the Sony gets such rave reviews. The Vaio pocket now there is a true Sony product. I now have a gigabeat and am more than happy.

6. motleycrew

motleycrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree it does have its downsides, but I bought it for the battery and most important the sound... my ipods are embarrassed to be in the presence of this thing.
    I'm pretty sure that hard drive wind up (whirring at boot up) is on all of them its very faint and I can only hear it with high end in ears, so I think I'm gonna stick with this one.
    (tested two more at the store and also noticed there was talk of others hearing it on head-fi's forums.

7. Linkable

Linkable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey I've just tried it with absolutely no background sound (yesterday I had a bit of traffic passing by) and now I heard it too.
    I guess it's normal but it's very faint and it's only noticable if you really focus on it.

8. BROUGHCUT

BROUGHCUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup it is noticeable between tracks, unmistakable when plugged into external amp (again only really noticed it between tracks, where it is a consistent occurrence).

9. motleycrew

motleycrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the journey continues... I went ahead and exchanged it at the Sonystyle store (they got a new shipment in) and this one has less noticeable hard drive access sound, it was never a deal breaker but, it seemed like mine was louder than what you guys have been describing.
    I am now very happy, hd5 sounds so good.
    p.s. I checked out the vaio pocket very cool sturdy player but kinda big for my needs, reason I mention is because they are selling this thing for $299 from $499...one more thing it is not nearly as loud as the hd5, but does have a nice sound for what it does deliver.