1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5-H remote compatability

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Pyrobob83, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for starting yet another thread about remotes, but the others haven't seemed to answer my questions and have seemed to be geared at HD3s. In fact, various people seem to contradict eachother. In this thread, the RM-MC40ELK is clearly popular, but there's no real indication if it works with the HD5(H). In this thread, Mike_manchester explains the RM-MC40ELK and RM-MC35ELK are the "best/most popular". Though I don't know if that's from personal experience.

I bought the RM-MC35ELK from eBay and whilst it worked functionally, there was a horid buzzing in the earphones whenever connected to the unit. I returned it, received the replacement and the same thing occurs, so am returning it for a refund. So now I'm left with my old MD remote with no LCD and stupidly limited functionality (skip forward/back, stop, volume - can't even start a song playing with it :().

So my question is, to those of you with the HD5/HD5H, what remotes work with it? And has anyone else experienced this buzzing with the 35? According to this thread, the 35 is the only one that will work with it (though I'm sure that can't be true). I've got my eye on the RM-MC40ELK now, but want to make sure it's going to work both functionality-wise and with clean sound.

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hang on a few more weeks - Sony are promising a dedicated HD5 remote, so I heard.

3. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sony use a common remote interface across portable CD, MD and HDD players and therefore the remotes you list should work fine with your unit. Clearly, different remotes have different functionality depending in which device they have been designed for but otherwise they should be compatible.
    I've used MC40ELK with a 6 year old minidisc player without a problem. It seems a little strange to me that you got buzzing noises from your unit with a remote attached; it could be a fault with the unit?

4. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    the 40ELK works perfectly with my HD5H

5. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks shadow, I'll keep an eye out. Are there any indications of what we can expect?

Thanks Kaledii, I assumed they'd all work, but the buzzing really confused me as my old MD remote and a friends MC38ELK remote both work fine with my unit (no buzzing I mean, functionality is limited).

Duncan, thanks for letting me know. Does the jog wheel on the MC40ELK act like say a mouse wheel does scrolling through a list of options? And what color is the backlight?

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told there'll be two: one with, one without LCD display. Guess which will be cheapest! ;)

7. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    They seem to be ready to promote the RM-MC35ELK as the remote of choice for the NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H as per the attached link to the instruction manual (note the title on the manual itself once you launch the PDF).

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&c=PA&f=OT&m=RM-MC35ELK

I have the RM-MC40ELK which has the 3 line LCD instead of one line which allows for more information to be displayed.

The downside of this is that it is a bit more bulky than the RM-MC35ELK.

This had never been a problem to me before but I was recently given a set of MDR-EX81SL earphones which have a split cord designed for use with a remote (so it's shorter than a normal cord).

Unfortunately the cord is too short as I find it makes the remote hang about 5 inches or so above the bottom of my sweatshirt / t-shirt / whatever.

The RM-MC40ELK is too heavy to hang on the cord itself so you have to clip it well above the waistband which looks a bit odd, or use the full length of the cord and have bundles of the stuff.

Other than that it operates all of the functions of the NW-HD5H well and with the right length of headphone cord it is an excellent device.

Hope that helps your decision.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the non-LCD model I heard about is perhaps untrue? Was told this by a Sony employee at one of their high street shops.

9. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argh, that's annoying. :suicide: The only explanation for the buzzing I got with the 35 is a fault with the unit, but that's eradicated as my friends 38 and my old remote don't buzz. Guess I'll wait a another couple weeks and maybe ask at a Sony Shop. This sucks. :thumbsdow

10. jceric

jceric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is indeed two model remotre for the nw-hd series,i've have seen both at a sony center neat my home
    the model without lcd have in his reference model *****60**
    i've buy the rm-mc35elk and it work with my hd5h et also my hd3 and a old(2002) minidisc recorder mz-n10