1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 Freezing and LCD probs -- how widespread?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by BROUGHCUT, Jul 30, 2005.

1. BROUGHCUT

BROUGHCUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered a chargeback on my red NW-HD5 player, not because it has cracked buttons (unhappy, but could live with), but because it keeps freezing up.

I would like to get a replacement HD5 (I will be nice and send the defective one back to the "authorised" Sony retailer with indifferent CS and obnoxious return and warranty policies once it goes through) -- probably one with black buttons to avoid the cracking problem as best as possible.

Before I make the decision to buy another, it would be good to know how widespread the various system errors I've experienced are (note I have never got an actual system error message):

1) It freezes quite frequently during playback. Usually no buttons work (including hold), sometimes the stop button will begin a shutdown -- but it will freeze indefinitely on the Walkman logo. Only way to reset is to remove the battery cover.

2) I also have the problem of the LCD screen (including backlight) shutting down completely from time to time. When this happens playback/functions are not impaired, but I need to reboot to get the display to come back on.

Are these two faults likely to reoccur on a new player, or do I just have a lemon here?

Thanks for any info, appreciated

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've not had this problem since updating the firmware (well I have, once but instead of freezing the machine re-set itself and switched back on - better)

Iv'e only had this problem since updating the firmware (only two or three times so far, but still...)

So, erm...

4. BROUGHCUT

BROUGHCUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seems to crash at least once on every run I take it on. Never happened with the ipod mini. It did reboot after a fashion but the firmware upgrade clearly doesn't address the underlying problem....

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Mine's frozen once or twice - but never since I upgraded the firmware. The backlight cutting out sounds very strange.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upgraded FW immediately I got the thing, so can't say I've yet had a freezing problem. Or cracked buttons, for that matter - but that's for a different thread ...

7. justdoit

justdoit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Not had any of the above but mine has played with no display whatsoever once, hows that for freaky. Nice to be different!!

8. BROUGHCUT

BROUGHCUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no display whatsoever is the same error I was getting (backlight and actual LCD shut off). Still crashed with the firmware update, although it did reboot after a minute or two (so they haven't addressed the underlying problem, in fact I recall reading this fix was to prevent the machine freezing at start-up, not during playback).

Anyway it has been charged-back and is in the post to dixmania.com today.

Not sure about getting a replacement.... Shame the Dixons/Currys £189 deal on the HD5H was so short lived, I may have given it a try.