1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5: file system/encoding CDs, and compare to HD3?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by drmoze, Aug 19, 2005.

1. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am still on the verge of getting an HD5. But a few lingering Q's remain:

First, how does it compare to the HD3? From everything I could find, it seems the HD5 has a longer battery life and a different form factor/button layout. Any other significant differences? Software incompatibilities? (Same version of SoundStage?) The HD3 is about $200 here (US), the HD5 is close to $300.

Now for the meat of my question. I'm a DAP virgin. I have a ton(ne) of CD's. I'm leaning toward a Sony because I basically want to encode my collection of 1000+ CDs. It seems for me that encoding in Atrac3+ at 192 kbps will give me very good sound quality and reasonable file sizes. (I will be playing songs thru a stereo occasionally, not just earphones.) I like to listen to albums mainly, not individual songs, so gapless playback is a big plus.

I'm not too concerned with Sony's music protection runaround. But I do have a lot of 'loophole' bootleg CDs from the 90's (e.g. Yellow Dog Beatles stuff, Swingin Pig, Living Legends, etc.). These were legal in the EC for a while because of a glitch in the copyright laws. Will there be a problem encoding these and transferring to my DAP? Will there be album/track titles for them, or must theybe entered manually?

Which leads to my next question. I don't know how the ID tag stuff works, even though I've seen it referenced a lot. Is it mp3-only? If I rip my own CDs, will they include album/title/track names etc.? I basically want to look up albums by title or artist, and play them. Will this be easy to do with 20gb of albums at 192 kbps? (However many albums that works out to!) What about compilation albums? Are they a separate genre or something? (Artist = "compilation"?) Can they be selected by album title?

Also, my gf has a lot of CDs of Russian music. Will they also have album info when encoded, or does it have to be entered manually?

Finally, does anyone know if the Sony flash players (e.g. NW-107) use the same version of SonicStage etc. for compatibility with the HD series?

And is there anything else I should be concerned with for my intended use that I haven't mentioned? Am I overthinking this? I just don't want to rip hundreds of CDs and find I have to type in a lot of info for each, or that the files won't work ow I want them to. (I realize the Atrac format limits me to Sony players--I'm OK with that.)

Thanks in advance for any info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A few? Seems like a lot! But I'll see what I can do...

I'm pretty sure they won't be a problem.

Album and track titles come from Gracenote CDDB, so if they're not in their database you'll have to enter them manually.

No, ATRAC files have them too.

Usually yes. Depends on how obscure the CDs are. Just about anything commercially released will probably be in Gracenote. Every CD I've imported has been in there. You often have to edit or touch up the information Gracenote sends back, but it's still better than typing it all in from scratch.

Depends on your definition of easy, but yes, that's what SonicStage is designed to do. It will take a while to import 20GB of albums, but that's life.

They're not a separate genre, unless you want them to be. There is a flag for compilation albums so that SonicStage can keep each constituent track under the one album even though they may be by different artists.

Yes.

Again, it depends if the CDs are registered in Gracenote. If you really want to find out, you can install SonicStage (you can download it from Sony) or iTunes or Winamp or anything else that uses Gracenote and seeing if the album info appears when you insert a CD.

Possibly. I think you'll be fine :)

Andrew

3. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot! Just dl'd SS and it does have info for the yelow dog stuff, at least. Although the artist 'The Beatles' came up as letter 'T.' Is this common, and should it be changd manually (to 'B')?