1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 Battery life?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kwingy, Jul 13, 2005.

1. kwingy

kwingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi everyone.
    My first post here so help anyone can answer my query. I have had a HD5 for a few months now and have been very impressed. Lucky not to get the cracked buttons problem that people have been unfortunately getting.
    My query is the battery life. I have not converted any of my songs to Attract and currently have around 800 songs in MP3 recorded all in various bit rates. I find battery life to last around 24 hours? Does that sound about right? Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

2. ChunkyMunkyLuva

ChunkyMunkyLuva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey, i do not have a HD5 so i do not know the battery life.. but it is said that it should be 30 hours for mp3 playing and 40 for Atrac, so i suppose 24 sounds slightly low but that would be enough for me. maybe the backlight affects the battery, if you are using it

i was just wondering, can you transfer mp3's to the HD5 without converting them to Atrac? i want to get a HD5 but i am unsure if you have to convert all ure music to Atrac (as i have over 2500 songs so may take a long time!)

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    24 does sound low.

You have to remember though these figures are based on straight through play (as opposed to shuffled tracks) with no menu access during the test.

My NW-HD1 with ATRAC files and a remote running achieved 27.5 hours continuous play on a test (with a very small amount of messing around on the menu - mainly to activate the backlight to see how much battery left).

I'm looking for far more than that when I eventually test my NW-HD5H.

4. kwingy

kwingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I do play around with the backlight a little bit when I am using the player and I can never stay on 1 album, I keep switching. Yes you do not have to transfer songs to Attract as I have said, mine are all mp3's except my WMA files which were converted to Attract automatically by sonicstage.
    I did think 24 hours was perhaps a little low but much better then my old Zen Micro so not too bad I guess! Anyone else that have a HD5 can help with my query?

5. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can - it does rename them as .OMA files during the transfer and applies a copy protection "wrapper" (only to the copy on the HD5 - not to the origonals) , but this all only adds about 1 second or so per song to the transfer time. Using usb 2 port on my pc, i can copy 3500 mp3 tracks (about 11gig) to the HD5 in less than 1 hour via sonicstage.

6. ChunkyMunkyLuva

ChunkyMunkyLuva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh ok, so it doesn't actually convert mp3's, it just renames them?

what about WMA's? will i have to convert them before i put them on the HD5?

7. kwingy

kwingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    WMAs will be automatically coverted to ATTRACT 3 by Sonicstage.
    Bump would like more opinions on the battery life by HD5 experts please for variable bit rates MP3's!