1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5 Accessories

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Crispy77, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Crispy77

Crispy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently changed my aged original 5Gb ipod for a brand spanking new HD5, little disappointed with some of the apparent build quality so I want to get a decent case (they seem to do a leather one) and also some sort of wrist of neck strap.

Anyone know where I can get a strap or whether another make will do?

I've called my local Sony store, national helpline (they say they're available in other countries but not here) and on the Sony website.

Any help gratefully received

2. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the case from www.sony-style.co.uk and a neck-strap from any mobile phone dealer. I have not seen any original Sony neckstraps anywhere, but you can find a plain one from Carphone Warehouse. :)

3. Crispy77

Crispy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'd seen the case already but I'll try carphone warehouse for the strap

4. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172

hi - couldnt see the case at sony style. anyone know the product details for searching on google?

5. Linkable

Linkable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just click on MP3 Player -> HDD Network Walkman and you'll see a leather carrying case.
    I think I'll get that; I got a HD5 because the display of my HD3 failed. I must've bumped into it without noticing it. This sort of case will prevent further damage from such a blow, I guess. My only worry is that it'll make the player pretty big. So I'm actually looking for a sleek silicon kind of case which will protect to player AND the display.

[​IMG]

6. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I WANT TO GET A:
    - Car kit that doesnt suck (maybe even being able to control the NW-HD5 from the car head unit)
    - Charging Cradle/Dock
    - Overlayplus Screen Protectors custom made for the NW-HD5 (already email them, they are seriously considering it - email them too)
    - Maybe a full body protector (this would have to be something really special as I dont want its sleek and great design ruined - nothing that make it bulky or any bigger)

7. TheBigLebowski

TheBigLebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Linkable - I've got the pictured case (Sony/Proporta). I dont think it makes the hd5 all that much "bigger" (IMHO!!) - it certainly makes it "fatter" - in the sense that most of the protection is on "front/back" but the actual size (in terms of Width/Height ) is not much more than the player itself. So it still fits very easily in your hand and feels quite small still!! Again(IMHO) I think the black leather look certainly looks smart/fits my black hd5 very nicely!!

9. twynne

twynne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just received the proporta silicon case and it came with a strap of some sort (though I don't use it). Very pleased with the case though... would recommend it. Oh, and it's not really that 'white' as described, more translucent. :)

10. Crispy77

Crispy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to Carphone Warehouse and they wanted £8 for a neck strap!!!!!

So I bought one on Ebay from a nice bloke in South Shields for £4.50 incl shipping.

I've also ordered the Proporta silicon case, I only wished I'd checked Twynne's post before, never mind!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your thoughts on this I'm sorted!!

11. Linkable

Linkable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the silicon case have some kind of display protection too? I'm not so worried about damaging the player but more about bumping into the display accidentally. The displays are one of the most fragile things on the player and it's not covered by Sony's warranty!

12. bydandie

bydandie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No screen protection, but you would need a corner of something to hit the screen to damage it.

Also, the silicon case doesn't make the device look like an iPod. The white case is merely translucent.

13. Marcd51

Marcd51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: I have just brought a new Sony HD5 in Silver the other week and wanted a protective case for it and I was told by Sony Centre that they were expecting a handful in about a weeks time . I payed £19 for it when I purchased it as they did say they would run out very quickly as the HD5 is a very popular MP3 player at the moment it is made of silicone and is see though just slides in and you get a strap as well .

14. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This looks promising:

Sony DCCFMT1
    Mobile FM Stereo Transmitter

Play your portable audio device through your FM car stereo. Choose from 12 FM radio frequencies. Powered through the cigarette lighter socket. Finally... you can hook up your Walkman® to the car stereo. The DCC-FMT1 lets you listen to portable audio devices through your FM radio. It conveniently plugs into your cigarette lighter socket (12V or 24V DC car battery), and the flexible transmitting antenna creates a stable FM radio wave that can be dialed up on 12 different radio frequencies. Take your tunes on the road with the DCC-FMT1.

* Stable Clear Sound - Using the flexible transmitting antenna, it is possible to transmit a stable FM radio wave in any kind of car. Digital frequency selection, rather than analog, assures a more stable and clear transmission.
    * Easy Operation with the Frequency Select Dial - Select from 12 FM radio frequencies (channels) to transmit.
    * No Dry Batteries - This unit connects to a 12V or 24V DC car battery (cigarette lighter socket), available in many types of cars and trucks.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...1&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1001104

15. Marcd51

Marcd51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: No the Sony case does not cover the screen but everything else but that is a good point to menton

16. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I looked into that a bit further and the antenna they mention above was described by one owner to be the same size as his external radio aerial :eek:

Better off with something like a Belkin Tunecast II.

If you have a Sony Head Unit, however, hold off because I received confirmation from Sony that they are releasing a Cradle / Car Kit for the NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H that will allow control from the head unit (and the remote if it has one).

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221706

17. TheBigLebowski

TheBigLebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea when the cradle is coming out? And is the source reliable?

18. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    No more info than what is in the thread I'm afraid. That was text taken direct from an e-mail though rather than a telephone conversation transcript.

I am convinced it will happen as it is mentioned in the specs of the head units, in the promotional brochure for the Walkman range and now confirmed by e-mail. I just don't know timescales as yet.

I guess the more people contact them and express an interest that may have an impact on the release schedule.

19. sohc

sohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will it only work on sony ones? i have an older aiwa will it work? how are they gonna make a dock for it!? it doesnt have any ports on the bottom :( i hope we wont have to plug in a corny 1/8" every time we dock it :rolleyes: we better be able to just drop it in place like the ipods

20. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be a perfect way to ruin a very good idea. I'll try and check it out.

as for,

Maybe...but I really would like the Sony one because I like the fact that it would actually have a proper place to be and not having additional cables and the transmitter itself laying around in the car dashboard or something...

Heard about this too...if such option is availabe for a head unit bellow 150€, I'll even consider having a new one installed.

Cheers!

21. philthunder

philthunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought one of these, "CRAP". You would be better off getting the FM modulator from Maplin £20 and quality is acceptable. Sony have commissioned connects2.com. Their version for the NW HD3 is about £80 and connects to their Sony head units, a bit steep imo.

22. DrillSgt

DrillSgt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 5.99 headphone to RCA input cable and hooked it into the back of my Sony head unit (CDX-M800).

I set the HD5 to 'line-out' and the head unit to Aux, the sound is fantastic.

I may invest in a remote at some point, but the car kit will have to be something very special for me to fork out big bucks.

23. chicksdignick

chicksdignick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i work in a sony centre and can tell you that all the accessories should be available across the country in about ten days for all the new sony network walkmans. Also my rep from ixos told me they are bringing out loads of stuff for the new walkmans soon, including stuff like speaker kits and 'i-trip' like radio transmitters. Not sure how good it will all be but at least things are gonna be available

Nick

24. DrillSgt

DrillSgt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sweeeeeeeet!

25. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Excellent ..... if you get a moment to keep us updated as these things become available that would be superb.

26. sohc

sohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so we can all agree that the hd5 is un-dockable? theres no way it can be, theres no port.

27. DrillSgt

DrillSgt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the line-out/remote port is usuable isn't it?

Maybe you could invert the player and slot it into a dock, I'm assuming the screen has the potential to work upside down?

Bearing in mind the remote port has 4 connections inside, the same as USB, I'm assuming it has quite a bit of potential.

28. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be used on it's side with the screen rotated 90 degrees (as it can do already). A docking station could be "L" shaped with a support underneath and the connection on the side.

29. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Or it could have a hinged connector on the top so you secure it to the connector first at say a 45 degree angle and then push the bottom of the unit in toward the cradle.

30. sohc

sohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah. i guess they can make a weirdo dock like that. it would have been much smarter if they just made it with a port on the bottom. btw- its not a line-out port. just a remote one.