HD4350 surround sound issues for audio files in WMP

drdecker

Hey
I finally got nice 7.1 sound out of this card for Blu-rays on my HTPC (I'm using a Sony STR-DG910 amp), using PDVD9.

I'm using ATI's HDMI audio driver, and in 'Sounds' it recognises I have a 7.1 set up.

However, just went to play a few songs in WMP, and I only get sound from the left and right front speakers.

Also, the amp won't allow me to force the audio through any of the other speakers, as all surround sound options are now disabled on it.

So what I've gained for HD audio on Blu, I've lost in all my other music files!

Any ideas!? Try Realtek's HD driver?

Thanks

jameson_uk

However, just went to play a few songs in WMP, and I only get sound from the left and right front speakers.

Also, the amp won't allow me to force the audio through any of the other speakers, as all surround sound options are now disabled on it.
Music is stereo.... :rolleyes:

If you want multi-channel music then you need to apply some form of processing to the stereo signal.

To get multi-channel music the easiest option is to set your speaker settings to 2.0 which should then should then get the surround sound options on your amp to open up.

Then to get LPCM from blu-rays you need to set your speakers back to 7.1 which is a pain. In reality though I found that if you are passing DD and DTS as bitstreams then the only time you need LPCM is when you watch BD so you might as well switch speakers as you startup the player.

I have previously used this to switch the speaker settings via a shortcut on the desktop and a keyboard shortcut.

The other option is to encode stuff on your PC with AC3Filter but this can get quite messy and by default will encode all audio (so music and films) which might not be what you want

drdecker

Thanks for the reply.

Was just going to post back myself, as I'd just got to the same answer you've just given me.

At least I've got a second opinion now!

Many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom