1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd3 & the hiss problem

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by papa_flump, Jul 24, 2005.

1. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    following my own decision (assisted by argos) to keep my hd3 I have now transfered most of my tunes using the original atrac3plus 256 kbps format.

hiss.... is definitly there at low volume using the ex71's... also complete lack of bass with these phones.. I hate them almost with a passion now.

even the supplied phones (imho) give a clearer sound at low volume.

using some cup phones (mdr v300) which incidently cost £35 from comet & less than £20 from john lewis the sound is nigh on perfect... not an ounce of hiss!

anyone else had trouble with the ex71's :confused:

on the hd3 itself i love it... sooooo simple to use (first mp3 player) even sonic stage I found very quick to import a cd and next to no time in transfering to the player.

2. Death By Saints

Death By Saints

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not noticed any hiss at all with my HD3 and EX71's. I did get concerned when I thought some songs bass sounded really flabby but on checking out the original CD that was the case also.
    I would say I'm the opposite of you in that I think the EX71's are a little too bass biassed and I have to equalise the bass down a tad.
    I never really wanted canal style earphones but now I've converted they feel so much more comfortable for me than any other in the ear type I've tried.
    Maybe you need to try some phones at a decent hi fi shop, it would be a boring world if we all like the same stuff.
    T

3. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone ever experienced hiss using mp3? i think its an atrac problem, i have recent retransferred all my tracks and converted to atrac (105kbps) and i have noticed a hiss, the SAME files as mp3 on the same unit with the same headphones no hiss. has anyone experienced hiss with mp3?

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    You are the 1st and only person I've heard say the EX71's don't have bass. If anything they exaggerate bass. They even find bass when they're aren't meant to be any.

As for the low volume, have you removed the volume limit? If yes and its still not loud enough, go to the EQ menu, use the 2nd EQ type and ramp all 3 bars up. If thats not loud enough, I'm afraid you've damaged your hearing. I meant that in the nicest way possible

5. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I must admit the hiss appears on some downloaded mp3 192 kbps as well as atrac3plus. but i really do think the headphones play a major role...

swapping the rubber ear shrouds on my ex71's from small to medium gave me a slightly snugger fit.. no big deal.... very big deal, this increased the bass by an unbeleivable level, in fact i can now understand why people say there's too much bass, the hiss sound was also reduced but not erradicated! now I think i'm getting paranoid... swapping phones and listening for a difference... like some mad crazy fool... who will in all honesty only use the player a handful of times... :rolleyes:

I still am frustrated though how the cheap & cheerful supplied headphones give no hiss/atmospheric noise at all and the ex71's do.. easily noticable at very low volumes... disapears when volume increased... but saying that some hissing/atmospheric noise is evident on some original cd's too, even when played through a high end system.

I have been tempted by some 'Sennheiser IE4' phones which seem to differ from £37 - £89 :eek: depending on which t'net supplier chosen, any reviews on these as I think the ex71's will be going to my daughter.

6. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    lfc sl...

I have no problem with the sound loudness, only mentioned that a slight hiss/atmospheric noise is present at a low level.. or in the middle of a track when it all goes quiet.

this effect is only present when used with the ex71's.... evrything else is great... but once you hear a noise it seems to be there always... probably just in my head :rolleyes:

cheers