1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD3 Limited to one PC?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JJ VDUB, Jun 6, 2005.

1. JJ VDUB

JJ VDUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input on my last thread. reading the details on here I have a question regarding only being able to sync the hd3 to 1 PC.

I understand why this is and all the Sony copyright malarky. My concern is that my home PC, is a lttle unstable. 95% fine, however, I'm perpetually having to remove spyware and other apps which install themselves!! I have all necessary virus protection by sadly broadband seems to be the bane of my life.

The bottom line is that it occasionally causes my PC to freeze, I had a problem with a bluetooth mobile no longer syncing to the PC after it froze last and I'm concerned that if I have to restore my hard drive for some reason, the HD3 will no longer recognise it as the same pc?

If this does happen is the worst case scenario starting from scratch and re-loading all music to the pc?

2. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Worst case scenario would be to reload all your music and re-initialize you HD3, BUT.....

Sonicstage has a backup facility. The program creates a separate folder & puts all your music into it. To restore the database you need to be online. With SS3.1 it is only supposed to take a minute or so online. This will then recreate your music database and "sync" it to your HD3.

So if you can store the database somewhere safe then you shouldn't have a problem reloading your music. I use a separate partition on my HDD, obviously if the HDD goes belly up then I'm stuffed, but you can backup to removable media if you desire.

I had a problem with a system crash that required a complete software reload, OS up! I hadn't used the backup facility then, but the HD3 still held my music and allowed me to add new tracks to it. It wouldn't, however, allow me to put the "old" tracks from my HD3 back onto my PC. So in the end I just lost the database on my PC up to that point.

Hope that helps.