1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD3 Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by rowlers, May 8, 2005.

1. rowlers

rowlers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone bought new headphones for their HD3??

The Sony supplied ones are like rubber bands, and are very annoying!!

Whats your recomendations???

Ta

2. Inter

Inter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. constantine_jk

constantine_jk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the 71s to have too much bass and I bought the 81s instead, which are really superb. The only problem with the 81s is that they are not available in Europe, but you can buy them from eBay. Take a look at this link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40138&item=5772758977&rd=1

The guy that sells them is a top seller, he supplies you with a tracking code and I received mine after four days. Highly recommended :clap:

4. Scarylion

Scarylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Qs'Tree

Qs'Tree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Maybe also try the ER-6 earphones from ETYMOTIC. Compared with the EX51 of EX71 the bass isn't heavy and you will hear really no "white noise" :thumbsup: because the ER-6 has an impedance of 48ohm (EX51 has only 16ohm).
    And perfect noise isolation is given.

check
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.asp

or
    http://www.4yourears.com/

greetz
    Qs'Tree

6. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 81 are available in the uk, go a pair down my local sony dealer today although a little pricey at £37, dixons are a little cheaper as is hmw for £34...same price as the 71 versions :rolleyes:

7. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I love my Sony MDRV300, you cant go wrong with them. But I will say that alot of people will recommend a pair of Sennheisers in the £30 plus range.

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Thats the Senn PX100/200. Or get Senn MX500's. £15 and very good. Nice balance, good clarity and range. Can't help with trying with the low price

9. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are those senn's confortable to wear? they dont look well moulded, kinnda too round to be good in ear? are there any other headphones that are good quality, that are in ear but not canal headphones, i cant wear those they really irritate my ears.

10. RobinChappy

RobinChappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a set of Sony Ex71 headphones and I am very pleased with the extra bass sound compared to the ones supplied. The only thing I dont like is the length of the cable. Its far too long & the stupid little plastic thing (for wrapping the excess up) which comes supplied with them is pretty useless. The cable is so thin I'm scared I cut it when i shut it in the plastic bit!! Anyone else find a better method?

11. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a pair of EX81's. There are two versions, one with a long cord and one with a short cord plus extension cable.
    I have the short cord version and it's the perfect length for use with RM-40 remote control.

12. pickerm1

pickerm1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much better is the sound quality to the standard ipod headphones, i have found them to really distort when played loud, does this not happen with the EX81's

13. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I couldn't give you a comparison with I-pod headphones but the EX81's do not distort at loud volume in my experience.

14. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If you're playing the stock earphones loud enough to distort, you'll experience hearing damage. Or maybe you've got the bass distortion problem (have you got bass booster on?).

The EX81 are basically the same as the EX71, but with a smarter look with the silver 'stalk' and the ear clip. Both sound the same if you put them in the same way but the EX81 fits looser for many people, which is why they get less bass. I think the EX phones are in some ways a downgrade from the Apple earbuds in terms of sound quality, but they do provide a very bass heavy sound and have useful isolation. If you want maximum bass, the EX71 would be a more reliable buy as the earclip fitting of the EX81 isn't for everyone.

The EX series earphones have relatively low efficiency so you might not be able to shake off feelings of lack of volume on the relatively limited HD3. If you have this problem, look at the Shure E2c. Noticeably more efficient.

15. constantine_jk

constantine_jk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry. but having owned both 71 & 81s, I don't agree that there are the same :nono:
    The EX81s don't boost the bass as much as the 71s and this seems to be a fact (from the reviews as well I have read) and it doesn't have to do with the fitting. I agree though that the earclip is not everyone's cup of tea. Also, the 71s are easier to fit properly than the 81s, which take a bit of time getting used to them.

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sorry you don't agree... but it's a fact. The EX71 and 81 are basically the same drivers in a slightly different housing. The variations in sound as far as individual reviewers are concerned can be put down to two things: The fit, and also how old the EX71's they're comparing are.

17. constantine_jk

constantine_jk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spec of the EX81s:
    Audio:
    Sensitivity: 100dB/mW
    Impedance: 16 ohms
    Frequency Response: 5 - 23,000Hz
    General:
    Type: Closed, Dynamic
    Driver Unit: 9mm
    Diaphragm: PET
    Magnet: Neodymium (400kJ/m3)

Spec of the EX71s:
    • Driver Unit: 9mm diameter
    • Diaphragm: PET, long-throw
    • Magnet: 400 kJ/mã high-power Neodymium
    • Impedance: 16 ohms at 1 kHz
    • Sensitivity: 100 dB/mW
    • Power handling capacity: 100mW
    • Frequency Response: 6 - 23,000 Hz

The spec are almost identical so agree with that, but I bought my 71s six weeks ago and the 81s four weeks ago and I think that the bass is boosted more in the case of the 71s. It might be me, but it would be interesting to see what someone else has to say (who owns both).

18. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The EX71 does have a boosted bass, because when the EX71 are fitted correctly they go deeper in the ear than the EX81. If you jam the EX81 right in your ear (or wear it upside down for example, so that you get a similar fit to the EX71), you'll get a similar sound to the EX71. Once again, the variations in sound are due to the fit.

19. Funky

Funky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Audio-Technica ATH-CM7Ti is made entirely with Titanium!!!! :smashin:
    http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductInfo.php?pid=AUTATHCM7TI-GRY

I use them to listen every type of songs; rock, classical, jazz blah blah blah.... It's deffinately worth the price. Audio Techinca really gives me very very very very good impression on thier products, and I'll support Audio Technica all the way. :clap:

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
  21. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for that price i would want headphones made of solid gold! im sure they sound good but at £80 they damn well should do!

22. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree again with LFC - sennheiser are great headphones. (but abysmally crap back up - WAAAAYY beyond appalling. They couldn't give a [removed by mod] if you have problems - I know from experience. :thumbsdow )

23. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....you are joking, right ????

24. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    No I'm not joking. The Stax Omega II's that I usually use allow me to get accustomed to hearing detail without a hugely boosted treble. The Apple earphones are quite fit dependent but feature reasonable detail and a much better balanced sound than the EX71. The EX71's are really only sonically superior if you a) need isolation and b) drive around in a bewinged Vauxhall Nova with those cannon like subs.