hd3 card and overlay setting problem

fatrich

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
can anyone offer me some assistance please, i checked Cliff Watsons setting and set the hd3 card to
white level -16
black level +11

then i went in to my settings to change the ati overlay settings and the settings are locked, i cant adjust then wot so ever.
i have a ati radeon 9000 (not pro) sapphire.
using the 2.3 drivers under Win Me.

i am also using the latest version of Powerstrip, is there another way i can change the settingswithin powerstrip?Staying with powerstrip i watch Ntsc film material and run at 72htz i have seen 50 htz mentioned quite alot, do i need to change the refresh rate to 50 htz if so can someone explain why and how do u use dscaler with the card?

sorry for all the questions

many thanks

richard

Richard,

I'm fairly sure you can only change the overlay settings whilst the H3D program is running ie using the card to output.

Once you've selected the refresh rate in powerstrip you have direct access to the refresh rates within the menu's of H3D so you can scroll thro' 50/59.94/60/75/100/custom and select, once selected choose apply changes and voila (hopefully)

Selecting the appropriate refresh rate provides smooooooth pans, I've found 59.94 best for NTSC and 75 for PAL. I rarely use dScaler as I'm happy with the UI and results from H3D.

Hope this helps.

BTW did you sort out the SDI input ok and is the tranny working?

Steve

I have had no difficulty with the overlay, well at least once i found it! :D

Having had Jeff tell me how bad the H3D app was, 2 weeks ago, i went and started playing with dscaler. It wasnt instantly better, but having had a few hours fiddling, it certainly is more flexible and im inlined to think it may indeed be better. It is just a case of install the program and play away.......certainly that was what i did. Another thing to play with! :D now if only Royal mail knew the difference between Ireland and Iceland, i'd be able to be playing right now! :confused: :mad:

ad

He didnt go into all that many details.....it was just in chat and i got cut off in the middle.......

he basically stated that the H3D app was full of bugs, which certainly there have been a few, but his major points were that H3D limited the range of something or other (chroma shomething.....i dunno, he was way over my head!) and also that he just couldnt stand the refresh rates that H3Dforced upon you. All that said, there is some improvement on all that with the latest release..... Dscaler seems good to me it seems to have endless options, but it is more awkward to use..... i havent got a remote ccf yet, so im back to the mouse.

One thing i definitely like with dscaler.....it puts the image in the same place each time!!!!!!!1 With H3d the image is in a different position for each standard, picture format......that kinda is the biggest reason i am sticking with dscaler for now.

come along to chat and grill jeff on it! ;)

ad

Far from grilling!

I would be curious from an education perspective, I trust Jeffs eyes and judgement re all things HTPC he's got more scar tissue than most.

I agree to there being some bugs but hey it's only 6 weeks old and improving all the time, with Mark Rejhon doing the programming I'm sure it can only get better. I like dscaler a lot but I really want plug & play, or should I say insert disk and play ;) The refresh rates aren't a problem for me I'm happy with 59.94 for NTSC and 75 for PAL, I definately do not have any stuttering now on either, tickers on sky are good for checking micro stutters on PAL sources.

Maybe I'll be more critical when Roland puts my 808 in on Thurs.

Steve

I have used dscaler now about 3 times since i set it up..... it too was fairly much plug and watch....... from a newbie point of view, dscaler and H3d apps are the same thing, only using different gui's.

Bet you are all excited about Thurs! I dont blame you one bit! :D

ad

Sorry
i might of come across the wrong way, i right clicked selected Settings then advanced then selected ati overlay and it cant be adjusted its frozen (ati 9000 saphire card) i have fiddled for 3 to hour hours now and its pi....g me off big time.Jeff any ideas?
i have the correct driver for this card with win Me and the cooect display panel.

Steve
the tranny is great, i cannot thank u enough.

I am running a denon 1600 sdi modded player via the sdi input of my holo3d card, it works through dscaler and on its own but the image keep freezing up i am running at 72htz which i will adjust to 59.95 tonight, do i have these issues because i am running win Me instead of xp and also a non pentium based motherboard and processer.

any help on the overlay would be appreciated

cheers

richard

Hi Richard,

The overlay settings will be stuck/greyed out if the overlay isn't in use at that time. Maybe the H3D software is using the overlay in some quirky way. You could try another app that also uses the overlay (DScaler for example) to see if you can adjust the overlay that way. Once it has been set the settings should stick even for the H3D software.

I think I'll steer away from any controversial stuff for the moment, a lot of people are rightly happy with their H3D cards, I don't see any reason to try to change that. I myself have to decide which SDI card to keep, I may keep them both yet. If not expect to see an SDI Silk or H3D card on the classifieds very soon.

Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff
Hi Richard,

The overlay settings will be stuck/greyed out if the overlay isn't in use at that time. Maybe the H3D software is using the overlay in some quirky way. You could try another app that also uses the overlay (DScaler for example) to see if you can adjust the overlay that way. Once it has been set the settings should stick even for the H3D software.

I think I'll steer away from any controversial stuff for the moment, a lot of people are rightly happy with their H3D cards, I don't see any reason to try to change that. I myself have to decide which SDI card to keep, I may keep them both yet. If not expect to see an SDI Silk or H3D card on the classifieds very soon.

Jeff

Oh c'mon Jeff post your thoughts :D I would be interested in your views on pro's/cons

Steve

Steve
is it heck, i didnt get any chance last night (wife moaned at me) shall try again tonight, i am hopefully upgrading to Xp either wednesday or thursday and changing the motherboard to a Asus P4b533 (sKT 478) and a P4 1.7ghz (Skt 478) and a new silent fan and 266 ddr.

All this should leave me skint for a bit.(its a good job the wife doesnt know the whole story).
Just whilst i think on , back on to the hd3, when u go in to the hd3 menu using the remote and you scroll across from sub menu to sub menu do u get a bit of flickering on screen?

Steve
Is Roly still coming up this week to do your PJ?
we will have to get together when he's done your install.

cheers

richard

when u go in to the hd3 menu using the remote and you scroll across from sub menu to sub menu do u get a bit of flickering on screen?

Pretty sure this is a good ole Via issue :(

You could always try the new H3D Connexant Drivers released today and see how you get on. They may fix this.

Neil.

Neil
ive brought my htpc in today to try the new drivers, if they dont work it pentium 4 all the way,

Another issue has cropped up, when i load up dscaler and turn on my sdi modded dvd player the mouse freezes up and it cant be opperated untill the dvd player is turned off then the mouse works fine, anyone got any ideas ( its johns very latest version of dscaler.

cheers

richard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom