1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD3 20gb - use on multiple computers?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by vosyem, Mar 31, 2005.

1. vosyem

vosyem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered a black sony HD3 from amazon (£205) and was wondering whether I will be able to use it (ie transfer songs using sonic stage 2.3/3) on both the family computer and my laptop at university.

I am asking this because i beleive the i-pod works on one pc only, which kinda sucks. Many thanks

2. holymonk

holymonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No that doesnt work , unless your some fuc*ing über dedicated haxxor, At least i dont know how to do it. Could someone please post a step-by-step guide on how to enable this, cos i dont get a ****. THX :confused:

3. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can transfer songs from any computer running sonicstage, but you can only transfer the songs back to the computer they were transferred from. You can also authorize the hd3 on up to 5 computers I believe so you might be able to transfer songs between those five computers.

4. holymonk

holymonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do i authorize my player? Since i have 2 computers, i really wanna know how..

One other thing aswell.

When i try to transfer song from Computer #2 , it says

"THE CONNECTED ATRAC AUDIO DEVICE MUST BE INITIALIZED TO BE USED WITH THE CURRENTLY INSTALLED SONICSTAGE"

it also says

"ALL DATA WILL BE LOST"

what the fudge is this! Sony sucks! :( what should i do?

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Right.

Both computers need to be registered with a Connect Music Store account. But it has to be the same account. You then need to authorise the player to both the computers. I believe you can do this with up to 5 computers. As long as they are all registered on the same Connect account.

Hope this helps.

6. holymonk

holymonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do i authorize? , I live in sweden :(

7. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I guess just download 2.3, or wait til 3.0 is properly released in Europe. I am in the UK, and I managed to authorise my HD3 to my PC.

It is quite strange really. I mangaged to set up a user account on Connect via SS 3.0, and I can log in, and I got the 45 x free song downloads, but I can't actually download any songs because it comes up with the bloody "Non - US Access...." message. So annoying!

8. TommoK

TommoK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if I'm drifting this away from the original topic somewhat but it is broadly similar.

What happens when you buy a new PC as I am about to do?

I've backed-up my Library to disc. When I get the new PC and I load up sonic stage on it, can I just copy my backed up Library onto the new PC and will it still recognise my NW-HD3 and files?

I don't think I've registered with Sony Connect - I assume I should do this sharpish?

9. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this sony thing is a lot of hassle. I like it but I've come to realize that the only thing I really like are it's size and it's looks. Unfortunately I am returning this today and going to try out a zen touch.

10. toots

toots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Akasan - I did this last week.....The Sony was just too much hassle to do the simplest thing and the "rules" were ridiculous. I've got a shiny new Zen Touch (I knew it was OK because I got my husband one for Christmas) and my tunes are downloading as I type. No trouble and easy-to-use software.

11. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does the zen touch get a louder volume than the sony? I am in the us so there was no sound cap but even still I thought that it didn't get very loud, especially when compared to my minidisc player

12. toots

toots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how loud the Sony was because I couldn't download any of my tunes! The Zen seems fine - my husband has had no complaints about his (he is a picky wotsit) and he uses it walking and skiing mostly.

13. holymonk

holymonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here , im gonna sell my NW-HD3 and buy a new Ipod Mini G2 (6gb) .. unless Sony make a new firmware NOW!

14. Calza

Calza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sony have already got ss 3 and the euro ss3.1 is coming out in about a month
    or are you talking about the actaual hd3 firmware since the hd5 coming out it might the same with hd1 and hd3 how you just sent it back to sony and it got mp3 playback

15. TommoK

TommoK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to respond to my own post :) but was wondering if anyone had an answer to my query? :thumbsup:

Cheers

16. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i THINK you should be ok if you have registered with sony otherwise i wouldnt reeccomend trying it, i changed the motherboard on my pc without even thinking that it would screw up my hd3 and i couldnt do anything, ended up having to re-initialise it and transfer everything again!

17. TommoK

TommoK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the response. :smashin:

Bit of a worry really as I don't really want to have to transfer it all again but surely Sony must allow for the fact that one might want to get a new computer from time to time! :confused:

I haven't registered via sony connect yet - is this what you mean by registering? I'm sure I did 'register' somehow when I first loaded up Sonic Stage though but don't think it was through the Sony Connect site.

18. zhmla1

zhmla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem.
    I have registered with the Connect Web Site... but cannot "authorize" the HD3 player via SonicStage 2.3. which I understand to be a prerequiste for using a second computer.
    I spent 40 mins on the phone with some dimwitted Sony UK customer service agent who was no help at all. Anyone managed successfully to use an HD3 with two separate machines?

19. 22Yellow

22Yellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked the Connect service team how to set up 1 account for 2 machines with a HD1 and got the following reply:

Our response:

Due to legal rights it is currently possible to use one user account with only one computer because your account "melts" with your computer ID.
    Even if you make a software update or changes to your computer it might be possible that you are not able to log in anymore and receive this
    error message.

Therefore we have to delete your computer IDs. Please let us know your different usernames that we can delete the terminal (computer) ids

The functionality of SonicStage 3.x now allows for sharing between multiple PC, unfortunately due to current licensing restriction in Europe we
    are still unable to offer this functionality to our customers. The Business unit is working on resolving these outstanding issues.

For further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

The CONNECT Team

20. chromosome

chromosome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    abit off topic but if i format my computer and reinstall sonicstage again, would i not need to re-initialise my player again? then does that mean i would need to format my player?

21. vosyem

vosyem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It now seems to me that the HD3 with sonicstage downloaded from connect.com on two computers works. If songs from CD are transfered onto on computer then they can only be transfered back on the original computer. Songs downloaded from the internet can be transfered to HD3 on both computers but not back from the HD3 to any computer so i back up music on DVD disks.

22. holymonk

holymonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When will this "Non U.S" license thing be fixed then? I'm getting really mad over here since I live in Sweden, which is located in Europe as u all know..

23. hexis

hexis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i initialise my HD3 player will it delete all files on my hard drive? Because sonicstage 3.2 asks to initialise the device before working...

24. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Similar qury: I plan to rip my own cd's, and store all of the files on an external hd. Can I do this with SonicStage????

25. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you plan to do it now, with SonicStage 3.2, you can deselect copy protection, so you'll be able to move your files freely without worrying about losing rights to use them. But bear in mind that SonicStage doesn't have a dynamic library, so you'll need to delete albums that you move (or go to properties and correct their location) and reimport them to the program to have them listed.

If you reinitialize the player, it will erase everything in its hard-drive, but it won't affect the files you have in your PC's hd.