1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD2 DLP chips - What will they offer?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Apart from a higher price does anyone know what these are expected to offer in terms of additional quality / functionality.

Also, any ideas of when we will see units containing them and the expected price hike.

Cheers

Neil

2. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    everything I have read over on AVS suggests the HD2 chip will be cheaper than the HD1 - TI wanted more manufacturers of DLP`s , so wanted to make the chips cheaper as an encouragement.

...... we will see !!

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect the chips will be cheaper as a result of newer silicon fabrication techniques. Just as with computers where similar technology cost less over time.

The HD2 chip is still 1280x720 resolution. The performance benefit is supposed to be from the micromirrors tilting to 12 degrees rather than 8/9? degrees. Also the chip is supposed to have a black, light absorbant coating (this might be for later though, I got a bit confused keeping track on AVS). Together with better bulb tech expect to see brighter projectors with better contrast ratios for less money. (very big hopefully here).

Sounds good generally. Still no chance of me having any cash to buy one though

:(