1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD1 (with upgrade) vs. HD5??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by inain, Jun 7, 2005.

1. inain

inain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all seriousness, I'm looking for a light, light mp3 player with a decent amount of storage - at least 20gb. What is the advantage of paying for the HD5 over getting the HD1 with the upgrade to play mp3s. The HD1 is the lightest 20gb player I can find (please correct me) and the other one that comes close is the archos gmini which has suspect battery time.

Only benefit I can see if replacable battery for the HD5, but I don't think that account for the price difference. Let me know your thoughts, especially those with both HD1 and HD5.

(also the spin feature on the HD5 is of no value for me)

Thanks.

2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the spin feature doesnt work anyway.from what i heave heard i would go for the hd1 for reliability and style though not having listened to a hd5 yet i can judge on sound. i think the hd1 is better build quality though, no cracking buttons for instance.

3. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    HD5 supports playlists, but HD1 only supports "groups". If the same song is in 2 groups, the song is transferred twice. Song navigation is arguably better in the HD5 depending on personal preference.

4. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,278
    I have a hd1 and it looks very good, no cracks like hd5 and the body is brushed chrome as opposed to plastic. Only problem is the plastic area gets smudged easily. HD-1 is much better and cheaper :thumbsup: . Main faults are Sonicstage but they both have that.

5. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    It's actually made from a durable magnesium alloy which does indeed have a "brushed metal" texture.

Lovely looking gadget when you see one in the flesh.

6. inain

inain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, it seems there is no great benefit in buying the HD5. I'm so confused with Sony.

Another question - do you know where I can get the HD1 (not interested in HD3 cause it's heavier - again I don't get Sony) with the firmware upgrade already on there instead of buying it and shipping and all that jazz...

One last question...

Do I have to use the software on any of these products? I have all of my music assorted in folders by albums and by artists. Can't I just bypass the whole software issue and drag and drop all of the stuff onto these machines...

Thanks,

7. emqav

emqav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Weight: 130 g (NW-HD3) - 135 g (NW-HD5) - 110g (NW-HD1)

The HD5 is the heaviest !

8. inain

inain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, does that make any sense? What is the info on the software, can I just drag and drop and forget sonic whatever the hell its called.

9. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To transfer music to any of the Sony players you do need to use sonic stage. The HD5 does not support groups but does support playlists.

If you do simply want to drag and drop your files then id recommend the Creative Zen Touch 20gb or 40gb. Both you can get easily online and on the high street. Both have very good ratings on amazon.