1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD1 vs HD3 - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by toratosaru, Mar 14, 2005.

1. toratosaru

toratosaru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked at the Sony site and all I can figure is that the HD1 comes with a cradle. Are there are any more differences? is the HD3 an updated HD1? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The hd3 is shipped as playing mp3s, as oppose the the hd1 which converts them to atrac3 format before transferring.

It is possible to send the hd1 to Sony for an upgrade so this to will play mp3s. I believe this costs £15.

The other differences that I have noted are the hd3 has more options on the sound equaliser menu.

The hd3 also has a blue/white/pink backlight (depends what colour you choose) instead of the green of the hd1. If you look at a photo of the two, they are slightly different in appearance. The final difference to my knowledge is that the hd3 is marginly chunkier than the hd1, and has a plastic top and bottom instead of metal.

3. Stahlhart!

Stahlhart!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the options you are talkin about are? Cause i didn't notice that...

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The hd1 was the "V-SUR" option, and "Sound EQ". The HD3 has these and another, "Digital Sound Preset".

5. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you get the upgrade on the HD1 all the options from the HD3 are there making them basically the same unit with different body shells. IMHO the HD1 is better as its smaller, lighter and has a magnesium alloy body.

6. al1980

al1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree - comparing both players side by side, the hd-1 has a much nicer look to it. it feels more solid and slimline. The hd-3 feels a bit plasticky in comparison. Also, i've found the cradle you get with the hd-1 quite useful as it gives you somewhere to store & charge the player safely...

7. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i really wish i had known about the firmware update for the hd1 before i bought a hd3! still both are great machines.

8. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have owned both, and am more pleased with the hd3. Admittedly, it is slightly larger. However, this is hardly noticeable and the better style of the hd3 (in my opinion) coupled with the blue/white/pink backlight as opposed to dull green on the hd1 makes it, i think, a better machine.

9. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    And dont forget you can turn the display to gegative so you can have green on black - cool.

Just got HD1 from Sony centre for £145, can get firmware from Sony to play MP3 (if you want it, I find ATRAC fine) and you get an update of sonicstage too. all for £15.

Bargin :thumbsup: