HD1 & VPL VW60 - whihc one & Throw ratios??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dealmaker, Sep 9, 2007.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Eventually the time has come to replace the trusty VPL-VW10HT!

Shortlist is the HD1 and the VPL-VW60.

Question is - which is the better PJ and which will have similar throw ratios to my exisitng Sony VW10HT?...as I have a finite amount of distance from the screen.

Is it worth waiting for the supposed HD100 - is that a replacement of the HD1 or a premium product at a higher price?

2. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Sorry to sound a bit boring,but....

As you're probably aware the VW-60 hasn't been released yet so you're unlikely to get any views on its performance atm.

Nobody can tell you what the better pj is as it is all subjective. A side by side comparison/demo would answer most, if not all, of your questions.

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK understood thanks!

But has anyone got any data on the VPL VW60 throw ratios or lens charts etc?

4. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064

I believe the lens is the same as used in the VW50. Projectorcentral.com should provide some idea.

AVI

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks!

Looking at the specs of the HD1 and indeed the VPL-VW50 I am beginning to get very concerned about the light output!!

My VPL VW10HT, acording to the projector central calculator page - is putting out 22 Foot Lamberts onto my 96" wide screen - in my semi- light controlled room.

It seems the HD1 will only put out about 13Fl and the Sony slighlty more - the Projector Central calculator says I should "consider a high gain screen or changing image size"!!!

Should I be concerned ( I mainlu use my current Sony on "Cinema Black" mode and the brightness has never been an issue).

Are the VPL VW60 and forthcomimg JVC HD100 projectors beinmg brought out to address these light output issues?....i.e will they produce MORE LUmens??

Thanks!

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    for a 96ins image both should be more than bright enough. the HD1 is one of the brightest PJs i have ever owned in its best mode. The VW60 looks like it will be about the same as the HD1.

But really ive seen alot of people trying to drop the brightness of the
    HD1 with filters etc.

really comes down to how many calibrated lumens you get, but i think you would be happy.

See here a user with sony 12HT (dont know if this is a similair model to yours but it may help with questions)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=904229