Hd

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by wallie32, Dec 18, 2006.

1. wallie32

wallie32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I need an HD ready TV to use HD on sky?
    If I do what is the box for and what is the price for it.
    Thanks
    wallie

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    You can use a SKY+HD with a "normal" telly but obviously you won't be watching any actual HD content in HD:)
    There are of course many suitable HD displays which are not classed as being HD Ready as well as televisions that are SD only.

The box can be connected to a normal telly using the scarts and the SD channels are viewed as normal while the HD channels are scaled down to SD by the box. There may be some benefits in the scaled down SD thanks to the higher quality source material.

There are offers from some major retailers that get you the HD system for £150 when you buy a tele, some provide the half price deal if you buy any product at the same time.

Details of the standard prices, channels and specifications are on the SKY HD website.

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    To obtain Sky HD you must have a Sky HD box. This receives and outputs the HD channels at High Def resolutions (720p or 1080i).
    To then watch those HD output channels in High Definition, you need a HD Ready display (TV or projector). You can watch the channels on a normal CRT or a standard definition plasma but the image will not be in High Definition, it will be scaled down to normal resolutions (480p or 576p).

The Sky HD box has HDMI (High Def digital connection for image and sound), Component (analogue High Def connection for image only) and RGB Scart (for standard def image and sound).

Needing the Sky Box when you already have a HD TV is a bit like needing petrol when you have a sports car!...... It will perform, but only if you put the right stuff into it!!:smashin:
    Price is currently £399 for the box plus possibly an installation charge. You then pay £10 for the HD privilege per month plus the cost of any premium channels which are in HD as well such as Sky Movies 9 & 10, Sky Sports 1 & 2 which are also available in HD. Channels such as Sky 1 HD, BBC HD, Discovery HD, History HD, Artsworld HD are all free to view if you have the basic Sky channel package.
    There are various offers currently on which can reduce the box price to £150 but that involves purchasing a TV from the same outlet at the same time so shop around for the best deal.
    If you watch plenty of movies and sport then it is well worth the cost IMO. If you watch a few movies a month and no sport, then save your money until it is much cheaper!

4. wallie32

wallie32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the detailed reply.
    One further thing I would like to ask.
    I have been told (but do not believe) that a box is available to convert a standard 625 line TV into an HD display.
    Is there any truth in this?
    Thanks
    wallie

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Nope.
    I assume they have got mixed up with the facility to upscale a SD broadcast to HD resolution and then display that on a HD display or that taking a HD broadcast and scaling it down to SD provides a better source picture for the SD display.