HD Xbox - not chipped

JayBee

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've got a normal unchipped XBox, and I'm interested in using component signals and hopefully progressive signal.

I've seen plenty of posts saying this is possible by doing this and that, but they're all from people with chipped boxes.

Where do I stand with a normal UK box.

Thanks

you can be a cable that gives component output, cost about £25 from G@me, formaly EB. IT also does fibre optic svid and composite, no rgb scart though.

I have the £15 cable with rgb scart to TV and svid via receiver to Panny onto a 80" screen.. very nice... soon to get the above cable and run the xbox (chipped) and DVD via componant

but if youre not chipped then theres no prog scan to be had...

anyway get it chipped for £60 and then its free games for ever !!!
and 480p

but if youre not chipped then theres no prog scan to be had...

This isn't exactly true, if you have an unchipped xbox and you plug the hi def av pack into it you can change a "hidden" option in the video options menu on the dashboard. It's under PAL 60, and allows you to select if your TV supports 480p or not. If you use a game which supports it then it will be output in 480p (PAL halo does this, PAL THPS3 doesn't, for example).

You would definitely be better getting it chipped though, no argument about that.

Owain

Yo

Ok I'll check if that 480 option is there.
If I do get it chipped however, will further HDTV options appear in here ?
I was on the verge of taking it back saturday !

John

yes, if you chip it and run the "video mode select disk" that's widely available, all three options become available once you set it to ntsc mode.

not all games support the higher resolutions though. None as yet support 1080i, and only a handful 720p.

owain

Is "chipping" easy to do?
What chip is a good one to go for.

Yo

The only options I have under Pal 60 are yes or no. What do I do to access the hidden 480 setting ?
I really need to see it, otherwsie I'm taking it back and will get a USA box later on.

Havent heard of the video mode disc, I'll do a search.

Thanks

John

If you've got XBox Live enabled on your XBox, this option is removed. According to MS it was a "bug" and the XBL upgrade "fixes" it. So you don't get the option any more. This happened on mine.

Or,

There are later batches of XBox which may have already had this "bug" patched.

Either of these could be the reason for you not seeing it. If none of the above are relevant to you, I've no idea why you can't see it.

If you use, or plan to use XBox Live, bear this in mind when you choose a mod chip, as they appear to be blocking modded consoles. Choose one you can "switch off".

IMO The X-Ecuter II is quite nice to have... Mine should be on its way anytime now. You have a 512k/1MB BIOS to play with so you can load the original Xbox BIOS along with modified ones and switch between them with ease. You can also turn off the mod chip by holding down the eject button for 3 seconds. Some might like a hardware switch though and I'm sure it can be done on the X-Ecuter II as well.

Check out www.xbox-scene.com for more information.

Yo

Not running xbox live but it is a new xbox so maybe they've removed that option.
I might just get it chipped run the disc see what happens.

John

If you get it chipped and run the video select disk you will have 480p enabled if you have the high def pack. ATM I'm looking for the official component/high def pack for the Xbox since the one I got at Game was a bit poor IMO.

Once you have an Xbox chipped a whole new world awaits you... And no I don't mean piracy -_- The development scene is buzzing atm and its good to see coders adding to the videogame scene rather than giving it a bad name.

Yo

Ok I've decided !!!
I'll take my UK xbox back and get money back.
Then when next in USA buy one there, then wait until guarentee is up then get it chipped.
Decided against getting UK chipped cos then I lose any guarentee, but USA xbox does what I want straight out of the box.
I'll then pick up MS high def pack

@Neoblade

ATM I'm looking for the official component/high def pack for the Xbox since the one I got at Game was a bit poor IMO

Don't know what your Game one was like, but the one I got from www.mx2.org is fine, quality-wise, cost about £30, quick delivery.

Owain

owain_thomas : Yeah... The GAME one IMO was of a shoddy construction and the picture quality was awful. I'm going to order my cables from Australia... I'll probably be less than a tenner for the official one ^_-

oaklandraiders : I have a US Xbox but I'd rather have a modded UK one so I don't have to worry about the stepdown converter. I'm going to wait though since a mate wants to mod his Xbox like me so I might do a lil trick.. Hehe.

Basically if you wait a few more weeks you can pick up the X-Ecuter II with pogo connectors so you only have to solder one wire. Can't argue with that.

NeoBlade: I know with the X-Ecuter II you only have one wire to solder but don't you still have lots of solder points to do by lining up the board and then dropping solder in the holes?

Yeah, but with the pogo sticks you wouldn't have to do that I believe. Its a very easy installation anyway.. I remember the NEO4.1 for the PS2.... 44 wires on a chip the size of 15mm... Fun fun...

If you plan on never going on xbox live get it chipped, otherwise your best bet is to buy a US xbox:

Here is a post I made earlier:

Nick,
Your best bet to play import games is to buy a US Xbox. I know of a guy who gets them for UKP160 inc parcel farce delivery [the Sega/JSRF] box - I can PM you the details if you want.

Regarding Xbox PAL support of 480p.

If you plug a HD module into the xbox it will show up the option to set these modes, however, it was a bug. Its fixed in more recent versions of the Xbox hardware and if you install Xbox live you lose the options to set the modes.

Modding your PAL console is also an option. This will cost you +atleast+ 70 quid though.

However, MS are banning users who connect to Xbox live with modchips enabled permanantly, also several recent Xbox titles have had issues with mod chips, Steel Battalion being one of them. If you do decide to get your console chipped, ensure that they add an on off switch so you can switch the mod off to go online, but remember if you import any US online games you won't be able to play them online! [on of my modded xbox's is banned from xbox live so i know this to be a fact :D]

THe best option really is to get a US xbox. [FWIW I have a US XBox, GCN, DC and PS-2, games are cheaper better quality and you get them sooner]. Metroid Prime on GCN is outstanding.

Regards,
Neil.

Just as a bit of extra info on the £25 cable from Game, I got serious ghosting on my ae-100 projector when the xbox was outputting progressive scan, now it might be the cable cos it looks like it produced in the uk, and seeing as the PAL Xbox is not supposed to output progressive scan.....well who knows!

anyway i'm off to try and locate a component cable for my ps2 at lunch to see if it's my projector that's buggered!

Originally posted by jumpt_upmunky
Just as a bit of extra info on the £25 cable from Game, I got serious ghosting on my ae-100 projector when the xbox was outputting progressive scan, now it might be the cable cos it looks like it produced in the uk, and seeing as the PAL Xbox is not supposed to output progressive scan.....well who knows!

anyway i'm off to try and locate a component cable for my ps2 at lunch to see if it's my projector that's buggered!

I'm using the Gamester component HDTV thing from game and its giving a perfect picture on my Panny 5 plasma.

Neil.

The official MS HDTV adapter gives me a perfect picture on my UK xbox in prog scan on my Tosh TV, it did this even before I had it chipped - cost a bout £30 from mx2.org

Owain

The Gamester lead is fine in component video when it's interlaced, but as soon as I play a game that supports progressive scan at the higher resolutions eg Tony Hawks 4 (720) and Dragons Lair 3d (1080) that's when the ghosting occurs.

So basically have any of you guys played Tony Hawks 4 or Dragons Lair 3D in progressice scan mode using the Gamester cable?

Originally posted by jumpt_upmunky
The Gamester lead is fine in component video when it's interlaced, but as soon as I play a game that supports progressive scan at the higher resolutions eg Tony Hawks 4 (720) and Dragons Lair 3d (1080) that's when the ghosting occurs.

So basically have any of you guys played Tony Hawks 4 or Dragons Lair 3D in progressice scan mode using the Gamester cable?

Your projector doesn't have the resolution for 720p or 1080i so the picture is always going to be questionable. Try it in 480p. I've not used 720p or 1080i. Could be the projector is scaling the image and the ghosting is part of that.

Regards,
Neil.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom