HD with an AVR300

smarty

I've got an AVR 300 AV amp and I'm currently only running everything in Standard Def. I use the component connectors from DVD player and Sky+ (via Scart converter) to the AVR 300 and then use it's switching to send one component cable to the plasma. Sound is via optical from Sky+ and Coax from DVD Player to AVR300.
Question is, if I want to go to HD how do I get the best out of it. Obviously the AVR300 doesn't have HDMI connectors (do Arcam do an upgrade?) so what would be my best route? Would using component cables from the HD DVD player be a compromise or would it give the same results as HDMI?
What about the new higher quality sound on HD discs that's starting to emerge? Can the AVR300 cope with that via the DVD-A analogue inputs?
Would I be better off changing the amp for one that has HDMI and Dolby True HD?
Thanks. Not looked into HD before but starting to think that I need to plan for it sooner rather than later.

Dankeech

I would suggest using either:

HDMI from HD source direct to TV, and running multi-channel analogue-output from the source to the AVR300's multichannel input. This gives you picture via HDMI, and Hi-Def sound from your source through the receiver. The disadvantage is that you need to switch both the AVR & the TV over to the correct channel / input in order to enjoy watching a films etc,

or...

Component from HD source running through AVR300 (should still provide an ace picture), and same as above in regards to audio.

You'd have to spend a tidy sum to buy a reciever with built in codecs that would be an upgrade from the AVR300 in my opinion.

Dan.:)

videoaddikt

Standard Member
I've got an AVR 300 AV amp and I'm currently only running everything in Standard Def. I use the component connectors from DVD player and Sky+ (via Scart converter) to the AVR 300 and then use it's switching to send one component cable to the plasma. Sound is via optical from Sky+ and Coax from DVD Player to AVR300.
Question is, if I want to go to HD how do I get the best out of it. Obviously the AVR300 doesn't have HDMI connectors (do Arcam do an upgrade?) so what would be my best route? Would using component cables from the HD DVD player be a compromise or would it give the same results as HDMI?
What about the new higher quality sound on HD discs that's starting to emerge? Can the AVR300 cope with that via the DVD-A analogue inputs?
Would I be better off changing the amp for one that has HDMI and Dolby True HD?
Thanks. Not looked into HD before but starting to think that I need to plan for it sooner rather than later.
I have an AVR 350 and the only reason I even use the HDMI I/O is for convenience. Since I only had a Toshiba HD DVD player (with 5.1 analogue outputs), using the analogue inputs of the 350 have worked just fine for HD movies, as the Toshiba decodes TrueHD on-board.
I now also have a Samsung BD-UP5000 duo-player and hopefully with the next firmware update will work the same for BD as well as HD DVD.
For now, I use an option to re-encode the HD tracks in the player and output them as DTS 5.1. bitstream. There IS a difference to be sure, on the better disks. But for most movies it is certainly tolerable.

ianmacd

For now, I use an option to re-encode the HD tracks in the player and output them as DTS 5.1. bitstream. There IS a difference to be sure, on the better disks. But for most movies it is certainly tolerable.
If the disk has a DTS HD sound track then the standard 5.1 DTS information is included as part of the audio track and can be pushed out via the digital out to the AVR350 as bitstream. With Dolby HD they have to carry a separate DD track.

I have noticed that using a BR disk with a DTS HD track outputting 5.1 DTS and a standard DVD using a DTS soundtrack that there is a difference. Both get decoded in my AVR300 but the BR disks do sound slightly better. I suspect that it is the full 1.5Mb/s stream on the BR disk and the DVD's are not encoded that high.

Ian.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom