HD video to media players

akkers

As things are not looking bright or economical for editing and burning to BD, I was thinking maybe you can burn to HD media players which there are many out there.

Has anyone had experience of using HD media players to watch cam footage?

rhubarbe

Yes, of course. :thumbsup:

I use a Popcornhour (PCH) and a NAS in the loft though others use a HDD in the PCH itself.

It works brilliantly.

Or you could use a PS3....

In fact there are quite a few media players you could use.

akkers

Has anyone tried converting AVCHD to DivX HD? How hard is it and what is the resulting quality and file sizes?

rhubarbe

But the media players will handle the raw .MTS files; HDD storage is so cheap per GB and format conversion such a long process, why would you want to convert to DivX HD?

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Agree with rhubarbe, I stream my raw HD files from my HF10 to my PCH and PS3 without any trouble. they even play directly off a USB memory stick.

Mr Lazy

Agree with rhubarbe, I stream my raw HD files from my HF10 to my PCH and PS3 without any trouble. they even play directly off a USB memory stick.

Thanks for that Dave, I was just about to ask one of the guys on the PCH thread to see if my sample HF100 video plays on the PCH but you've saved me (and him) the bother :D Seriously considering the PCH now as my primary playback method, at least until we can afford a PS3 :(

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Steve.
I dont have any experience with other media streamers apart form the PS3 but the PCH does seem to do the job with all my files.
In fact the PS3 doesn't even get switched on these days unless my son wants to play a game. I do feel the quality is slightly better from the PS3 and it plays the files instantly (see below) but of course its not as compatible with file types. And of course the PS3 has WiFi built in.
One thing i noticed the other night was that when ever you try and play a file you get a short message about buffering. Thats normal but when i played a AVCHD file it started instantly. Tried a few of these with the same results.

For the price i think the PCH is unbeatable.

rhubarbe

It's a Sigma EM8621L chipset, which is the same generation as the TVix 4100 series, so the answer is a big fat maybe.

Really you want a Sigma EM8623 chipset as in the Popcornhour and the TViX 6500A series.

What does it have that the Popcornhour doesn't have? The Popcornhour (PCH) is a superb player (only one I have ever kept of the nine media players I have owned over the last few years).

akkers

The reason being that there is a shortage of Popcorn players and they are reported to have a lot of bugs. They are being described as work-in-progress and not ready for prime time. The Mvix players also have some bugs but look very professional and appear to have a bigger following.

rhubarbe

I disagree most strongly. All these players are works in progress. I use my PCH daily and it is an eminently usable piece of kit.

There have been three PCH's for sale on these forums over the last two weeks. Maybe they still are.

I don't know where you've been reading but I'd take entirely the opposite view of view of the PCH and Mvix players.

If you'd said TVix players that would be a different matter - they are excellent by and large, though expensive.

If you decide to buy Mvix to play AVCHD native files you are in for many hours of frustration.

You have been warned.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom