HD via VGA?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Enath, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Enath

Enath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just a small question, i just bought an LE40M87BD screen which is connected to my PC via VGA at the moment (Waiting for my DVI to HDMI cable), and i am wondering if HD playback is possible via VGA.

I just downloaded 2 movies 1 1080P and 1 720P and i played them with the Haali and CoreAVC codec's.

The thing is that they look crap, as i could see pixels and the quality was even worst then when i play a normal DVD?

My resolution is set to 1920 x 1080 and my system specs are as followed :

- Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    - Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
    - Memory: 1278MB RAM
    - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128M

2. andyr300

andyr300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    yeh,the VGA should be output correctly (aslong as no HDCP in the way) and it should look excellent!

3. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    HD playback is certainly possible and certainly ordinary mpeg2 HD files should play ok with that spec.
    However, as you have noticed, you need a bit of a upgrade if you want it to play h264 encoded (or VC1) files.

Judging by other posts from ppl using a similar processor to yours, its not up to the job and also I don't believe the 9800 series offers any sort of acceleration.
    You need to upgrade your processor to at least a 4200 dual core. Regarding the gfx card, your existing card may suffice but I'm not sure.....

HTH