Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HD via 15 Pin D-Sub

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by red1703, Jun 9, 2005.

1. red1703

red1703
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    CAn someone tell me if i am connecting a PC to a plasma (TH-42PV500) via 15 Pin D-Sub whether it will be HD (720p) if running WMV HD clips?

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +809
    Depends on the plasma and the PC.

The plasma will need to support 1280x720 or similar modes via its VGA input. The PC will need to support 1280x720 output via its VGA output. (Powerstrip may help with this if other solutions aren't available)

Many 850x480 resolution plasmas have VGA inputs (for 640x480 resolution display stretched) - so wouldn't show you the full HD resolution.

Some displays - even though they run 1280x720 as their native resolution - won't accept 1280x720 as their input resolution via the VGA inputs for some reason AIUI.

Short answer is possibly, but not definitely - depends on the kit involved.

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    The VGA input on plasmas usually gives you the most flexibility in formats accepted. DVI or HDMI inputs formats are often small subsets of the usually very comprehensive VGA format sets. The PV500 is a high def display, 1024 x 768, I believe, and will almost certainly accept 1280x720 input.

However, why would you want to do that? If you are using a PC to drive it, so why not set the output resolution to match the display's native resolution and avoid having the display do the cross-scaling? It may already be a pre-configured resolution on your video card. (it is on mine) If you are running WMV HD video, you must have a recent PC, which will probably do video scaling very well.

You've nothing to lose, playing is easy and fun, and the end result will be video to die for.