1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD using component

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by phil5743, Feb 4, 2005.

1. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Having just been through the recent disappointment of finding out my Sony KDE 37 plasma is not going to be HD compatible with Sky I am desperate to find some way of making the most of my screen's resolution using component - could this be an answer? http://www.copperbox.com/lite/tvix.php Do people think more products like this will be available in the the future or are there other such HD sources already?

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Not sure what you want or expect the TivX to do in relation to high def materials, or Sky.

It is a storage device for typical PC content, that can then play back that content stand alone - it can upscale the standard def content on its hard disk to high def output on playback - though I am not sure it can actually play back high def content like WMV-HD or Divx-HD

It has no relevance to Sky.

3. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am assuming it will be able to play back HD WMV as this would seem to be why it supports 720 and 1080p output. I just want a way of utiliizing the extra resolution my screen has in spite of not having HDMI or DVI inputs - I know it is not a replacement for Sky but it would possibly give me a way of viewing some HD material on my screen.

4. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    One of the ways you could get high definition on your plasma would be to buy a JVC d-theater player and some pre-recorded tapes (I think about 80 movies are available). It's totally simple - you just plug it in via component and the quality is amazing. This is by no means a cheap way of achieving HD - it depends how desperate you are to see it! All the movies are recorded at 1080i so your plasma will easily cope. CRT Projectors, an excellent company highly recommended by forum users, sell both players (including a transformer) and tapes.

5. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    My plasma has no digital inputs (Pioneer 50") and I currently use hi def using 3 methods.
    1) Chipped xbox set to NTSC and hi Def Options switched on in control panel. Many Games play in 720p and 1080i looks very good. Also can upscale DVD but too much hassle to use as a daily DVD player.
    2) HTPC set up and downloaded .TS format movies off user groups. Truly outstanding picture. Connected via VGA but cables available for Component. Movies can be massive though eg. Alien 28Gb in size. Playback with Power DVD, VLC or TheatreTek. Machine needs to be ~3Ghz for smooth picture.
    3) Samsung HD945 Player, not true hidef but upscale of standard DVDs picture better but no comparison to HTPC setup.

Hope this will point you in the right direction.

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I believe it only plays back SD materials, and then scales them up to 720/1080 - in much the same way some DVD players do.

I might be wrong, but I don't believe it has the umph to play back HD like WMV-HD as that requires a pretty powerful PC.

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    If you are really desperate you could set yourself up for HD-1 (aka Euro 1080) reception.

They broadcast 1080/50i material via the Astra 1 satellite orbital position i.e. where Sky Analogue used to be.

You can either buy a Euro1080 receiver or use a PC with a suitable DVB-S card and running in a 1080/50i video mode using Powerstrip and a VGA->Component converter (if your plasma doesn't have VGA inputs of its own that will run at 1080i happily)

I'm not running HD-1 yet - and believe they have partially encrypted - however they are charging around Euro200 for a viewing card guaranteed for a number of years (with no subscription fees after this)

The content may not be to your taste - and D-Theater/D-VHS may be a better source for you.

The Tivx looks like a device that will scale standard def material to HD resolutions - just like the Sigma Designs XCard does. (May well be based on a similar chip set)

If you are looking for genuine HD sources then you really are limited to :

D-Theater/D-VHS VCR with component analogue outputs (D-Theater required for movies, analogue component isn't supplied on all D-VHS models as some are used Firewire only)

PC connected to your plasma to display WMV-HD DVD ROM material, and downloaded .TS files or WMV stuff (which may be in breach of copyright)

Euro1080/HD-1 satellite reception - dish pointed at Astra and either an HDTV satellite receiver or a PC suitably equipped connected to your Plasma.

(Plus I guess importing a BlueRay Recorder from Japan - and playing Japanese HD content recorded for you by a friend in Japan. These are unlikely to play the next generation of pre-recorded BlueRay stuff as they are MPEG2 only)

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    And the bottom line is that devices like Tivx in the future that do have the horse power to play back HD will have the same HDCP limitiations in place.

There's going to be no (legal) way round this. And illegal ones will be hard to come by as hollywood isn't going to suffer piracy so easily this time. It will want to crack down from day one. So you wont find lots of online vendors selling equipment to bypass HDCP as you do with macrovision filters because they will get sued.

9. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It seems that my best option might be to connect my PC (fairly new 3.4 P4) to the TV and watch downloaded content that way - Can anyone elaborate on how I would connect - my graphics card has VGA or DVI - can I convert this to component (as I don't have a PC input on my TV) and where would I get the converter?

10. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    You should be able to get an RGB VGA to component transcoder, and couple this with Powerstrip on your PC to generate a 1080i or 720p compliant desktop and video output timings to match.

Have a look at some of the more US centric forums.

11. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I feel it will still be a short term and content limited solution.

The HD content you are going to want to watch in the long term - like HD-DVD or Sky HD - is going to require HDCP.

The stuff you can download today is only clips - nice for demos - but nowt else. And the WMV-HD DVDs you can buy are primarily nature/documentary films.

I can't help but think the availability of a small number of movies (like T2) in HD on DVD (using WMV-HD or Divx-HD) that don't require a HDCP display is a short lived phenomenon that the major studios will not support when they have a more secure chain available to them.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The "legal" stuff certainly, but that aside the net is awash with ultra high quality HD captures of movies and television which make using a PC to stream HD to a suitable large screen panel a viable option until something better comes along.
    This distribution is of course the reason for the US studios are so keen on HDCP which they hope will limit the ability to capture HD to a PC and then pass it on.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I just bought a Nvidia 6600 GT which actually outputs component via a multi format connection. I had quite a few problems getting the VGA and DVI to work but this was far easier.

I can't help specifically with an ATI card but I would assume that it's drivers would have a wizard which allows you to set up a second display either as a clone of the desktop or with totally seperate specs as suits your TV.
    It should in theory just be a matter of finding a way to convert the VGA/DVI to component.

Not sure if this is what you would be looking for..... ATI Component Adaptor

14. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I just read this on ATI's website:
    Q5: Will the HDTV Component Video Adapter work outside of North America?

A5: HDTV Component Video Adapter is for use in North American only. Future releases of component output support will enable use in the Japanese markets. There is no plan for European support for component output at this time.

Is there any reason for this not working?

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I don't know enough about the technology to say with any certainty.
    However since there isn't any actual HD reception/tuning/subscription decoding going on just another method of getting the video data out of the card I would have thought it would work given the right drivers.

This sort of qestion would probably best be answered by those who use ATI in the HCPC's before you take a chance and buy one:)

16. Litch

Litch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I live in the UK and bought one of those ATI component adaptors for my 9800 gfx card.

Works perfectly on my Sony KDE-P37XS1 @ 720p/60 1080i/60

Watched the MS hidef demos this way and was really imprested.

Like yourself I was a bit annoyed when I discovered that sky are most likely going to use a digital connection. But due to the large number of people now in the same predicament as us there is hope. As demand for a solution will always drive some enterprising person to create a small box with copy protected digital in one end and analogue component out the other.

Well here's hoping anyway :)

17. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I can't help feeling it is going to be different with high def and HDCP

Sure I can believe that some enterprising individual will come up with the technology to bypass it - as they did with macrovision. However, I don't think this time round there will be many commercial enterprises willing to sell them as the the content producers - including sky themselves - are likely to take a dim view of this and threaten litigation.

Of course there might still be ebay and pub car parks as useful sources of supply...

18. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Also I would imagine a subscription to Sky HD will involve them coming to set it up and make sure all is compatible -not a lot of scope for bypassing this! All very frustrating - I do hope that maybe there will be a component connection to view less premium material (like repeats) - this would enable Sky to still offer some kind of HD service to us "component plebs" whilst not upsetting the big boys. I do recall SkyBSB saying that "the majority" will be via HDMI -not "all" and this may indicate hope for us yet :lease: