HD TV with Freeviewnot Freeview HD

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by supersleuth, Jul 30, 2012.

1. supersleuth

supersleuth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Want buy a new HD TV
    However all but a select few say they have Freeview and not Freeview HD
    Does this mean I won't get the Freeview HD channels without he Freeview HD tuner? Or is it just that Freeview is now a standard term and all HD TVs will be able to receive the Freeview HD channels by default?

Hope I'm making sense....

Thanks

Andrew

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    If you want to receive the Freeview HD channels then you need a Freeview HD tuner.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,775
    I guess they're taking it for granted that with DSO almost complete HD is normal, so there's no need to mention it.
    They very probably do have it, but obviously you'd check the specification first to be sure.

4. mikej

mikej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    It's often down to screen size (and screen resolution), with smaller sets having Freeview tuners and larger sets having Freeview HD tuners. I guess the thinking there is that someone watching a smaller (<32") TV from any sensible viewing distance won't get the benefit of an HD picture.

There presumably used to be a cost saving for manufacturers too, although that may not be the case any more.

A quick scan down the 32" sets currently available from Richer Sounds (for example) shows that the cheaper (often 'HD Ready') sets only have Freeview tuners, whereas the more expensive sets have Freeview HD tuners.

Do not presume that 'Freeview' means 'Freeview HD' - look for a 'DVB-T2' tuner in the specs if you want Freeview HD.

5. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Thread moved

Curly

6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    You can see the difference on <32" sets and quite a number of smaller screens have HD tuners including my 24" Panasonic one. Feeding it with a VirginMedia V+ box as an HD source gives even better results. There are some 24" 1080p screens available from Panasonic and Sony with Freeview HD tuners.

Apple spent millions convincing people that a higher definition 10" screen could be seen as visibly different yet people still persist in believing that you only get the benefit of higher definition on a television with a very big screen. A big screen needs high definition it is true, but the smaller the screen the sharper the picture. Not often I agree with Apple.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  7. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    More and more TVs have a Freeview HD tuner but not all as yet, so check the specification carefully

8. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,825
    The DVb-T2 tuners for FreeviewHD are pretty expensive so manufacturers are reluctant to put them in smaller and lower cost sets to try and keep the price down.
    This isn't going to change soon.

9. mikej

mikej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    You must be sitting fairly close then, I guess ? I'm fairly sure I couldn't tell the difference between BBC One and BBC One HD on my Dad's 32" 1080p Panasonic LCD from around 10ft away.

I had spotted that some manufacturers have started putting HD tuners in one or two of their smaller sets but this is a fairly recent change though - when I was looking for a smaller LCD for my bedroom a few years ago, TVs with screen sizes of 26" or below did not have HD tuners.

To be fair, that's not a good comparison. You tend to hold an iPad 1-2ft away so of course you'll notice the difference, whereas most people will be viewing their main TVs from 8ft+ away I would have thought.

I bet you a shiny pound you won't be able to tell the difference in PQ between an iPad 2 and an iPad 3 at 8ft away ! :)

You are right, or course, that the smaller the screen the sharper the picture and don't get me wrong - I'd personally prefer a Freeview HD tuner in all my TVs no matter what size, but there has to be a distance at which the difference in PQ is not that noticeable and the manufacturers must bear this in mind (along with cost) when speccing their TVs.