HD-TV with a SD SKY+ box/subscription

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by autonm, Jan 12, 2008.

1. autonm

autonm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking to buy the Panasonic TH-42PZ70 which is Full HD.

Currently I have SKY+ with the full channel package (no broadband or phone). I rang up asking for SKY HD prices - they charged wanted £299 for the box and £60 setup view... I grumbled.

QUESTION 1: If connect my current SKY box with SD subscription to my new TV - would I see any picture improvement at all..even a slight increase.

QUESTION 2: If I did buy the SKY HD box, would I see any improvements with the SD channels at all ? As bottom line there doesnt seem to be enough HD channels yet to warrant the extra £10month + £360 they want for it.

thanks

2. timfg

timfg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1 Probably. This does, of course, depend on which TV you currently have...which you haven't told us.

2 I think the SD picture on the HD box is clearly better than my Sky+ was - most seem to agree, but not all.

3. autonm

autonm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a 32" SONY widescreen+flatscreen - from about 2001 .. its not a lcd/plasma - its goes about a foot backwards :thumbsup: old style.

4. timfg

timfg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Then I think you'll be knocked out by the picture....but this is a subjective area, t say the least. There are good argments that the best picture is from a decent CRT....but the upscaling that the plasma does will make a huge difference at these sizes....

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    It's illogical to spend 8-900 pounds on an HDTV & then penny-pinch by not wanting to pay for any HD content. You are already paying for the full Sky package so the extra 10 pounds per month gives you Movies & Sports in HD which most people agree really show off HD to its full potential.

The price offered direct from Sky is in any case way too much. Buy the digibox from an independent retailer or from Ebay & swap it for your existing Sky+ box (it takes all of 2 minutes) then get Sky to pair your subscription card with the new box & don't subscribe to the HD service thus saving 10 pounds per month you will still get BBC HD & C4HD. Alternatively buy your TV from Currys & take the 99 pound Sky HD offer & pay the 10 pounds per month & get all the HD channels.

6. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Have a look in PC world, they have an offer on if you buy an HD TV and join Sky, you can get Sky HD for £149. You may need to check if that was for existing customers as well (and any other t&cs:rolleyes:)

7. Handle Bar Earl

Handle Bar Earl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Autonm,

I'm just about to up-grade to sky HD after buying myself th Pana TH42pz for x-mas. The price you have been quoted is what the sales person on the end will give out first. You have two options.

1. Curry's will do it for £149 (sky HD box) + £60 install, this will be carried out by a sky engineer.

2. Depending on who you have your current broadband and telephone line billing with? if you move it to sky you will get it for the above price. If you take out their telephone option 1, with free monthly line rental and billed for just calls and then take out the 16mb broadband package which is £10 a month you will get the HD box and install for £209.

I will save myself about £27 a month from doing this.

Hope it helps:thumbsup:

8. autonm

autonm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the comments.. since making this post I am now looking at the Toshiba 42Z3030 (extra HDMI slot and handles 24fps better)... however

Unfortunately Currys want an £1300 for that TV and then warranty on top... where as my local independent dealer want £1100 and thats with a 3 year warranty... and I dont think he has anything to do with SKY.

As for the phone/broadband - I have seen those offers... unfrotuantly my current broadband is with a cable company and with the 5 years I have been with them I have only ever had 1 day of troubles, where as with SKY I have read a few issues. Also our telephone is tied in with our gas and electric and im getting a good deal on that.

/sigh ... back to cursing at SKY.

9. Chateaux

Chateaux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This £60 install, is it needed if you have Sky+ already?

10. Dodger3

Dodger3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Where are you going to get 24fps from ?

11. autonm

autonm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes its required... and what makes it worse is that if you are a new SKY customer its only £30