1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD TV Help for Beginner

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Craigy, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Craigy

Craigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Hi There, first time post from me, basically been looking to get a new TV and a friend has been pointing me towards HDTV, he does not know much else though apart from what the screens look like (demos and movie trailers etc).

Basically just got a few questions

1) I notice certain sets say HD Ready, but then they do not have HDMI connections, how is this supposed to play HD images without an input?

2) I know the XBOX 360 is going to output HD, what else is there out there that can do the same?, I just use scarts for my XBOX, DVD, PS2, is there a way to make the images better than a scart output?, just need to know what I can do with a HD TV basically.

Sorry for being dumb.

Cheers

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    If the screen is using the official HD Ready logo then it should support digital video in via HDMI or DVI with HDCP (DVI without HDCP is not acceptable) as well as analogue component HD inputs. HDMI isn't absolutely required - as DVI with HDCP is effectively capable of the same video performance (it just requires separate audio feeds as DVI is vision only)

If the display doesn't have HDMI or DVI+HDCP then it shouldn't be called HD Ready, and if they are using the HD Ready logo they should be reported.

Some sneaky people describe displays with only analogue component HD inputs as "HDTV Ready"... Not quite the same and potentially misleading. Analogue component HD inputs may be OK for most Sky HD stuff - but at the moment it is expected that they will not be OK for full HD replay of HD-DVDs - which for copyright reasons are expected to be HDCP (via HDMI or DVI+HDCP) only for HD.

There aren't many mainstream HD sources at the moment - but Sky HD, HD-DVD, BluRay etc. are all prospective HD sources, and I believe it is possible to persuade some XBox games to output analogue HD component with suitable cables (though the XBox may have to believe it is an American model?)

For conventional sources then RGB SCART is pretty good - certainly better than composite or S-video. You may find DVDs benefit from component analogue connections if your display and player are progressive capable - though this may not be a huge jump.

It's a complex world...

(HDCP is the encryption system used by HDMI and optionally used with DVI)

3. Craigy

Craigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Thanks for the reply, so basically I can use a DVI with HDCP connection just for video, I use my sound going digitally from dvd-xbox-PS2 through my Amlplifier so I take it this would be acceptable?

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yes - though you have to be very clear that the DVI input on your display supports HDCP - not all do. (Computer monitors are currently far less likely to offer HDCP than TVs)

5. Craigy

Craigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    You doing anything on Wednesday?, thats when I am going to buy my new TV!! haha, thanks again.

6. Craigy

Craigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Thanks for all the help, just bought the JVC LT37DS6 LCD model, looked superb in the showroom, getting this delivered on Monday, cant really run anything through the HDMI input at the moment though, first chance I will get will be the xbox 360.

7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
  8. Craigy

Craigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Cheers for that, so it was you that has or had the LT37DS6 model then?, was very impressed with the picture in the showroom, had monsters inc running on it from dvd, looked superb, also I never realised the xbox was capable of 720p, wonder what I have to do to get this working....

9. Craigy

Craigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Got the JVC and am very happy with it, one nagging thing is when I play PS2 and xbox games there is quite a bit of blur and fuzziness when it is moving, title screens and static screens are brilliant, but on things like Pro Evo soccer it does lose its clarity during a game, basically got it hooked up via RGB scart and set on my tv to this as well, any help?, would buying a component lead help with the blur?

10. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not really, IMO. You should look in the Xbox forum and see the thread about Soft modding - you'll be able to play your games at 480 and 720p, as well as 1080i, for those that have been designed as such. It'll allow you to play US import games, of which some will be better than the PAL version doing 720p.
    Some NTSC-PAL converted games have been done poorly, and as a result, the NTSC game running at 60 fps looks the better for it.
    It's all there to read and ask questions about.