HD tv for fullHD games?

TimbeS

Novice Member
Im buying a tv for gaming only. I found this Panasonic TX-P42C3 wich has only 16ms of input lag! My concern is that xbox360 games are 1080p fullHD and this tv is only 720p HD(not even "trueHD", only 1024 x 768) When the TV processes the picture from xbox to screen, does it have to somehow scale the image size so it would INCREASE the input lag, cause thats what I really dont want to happen?! I would really appreciate if someone who knows something about this could answer.

mikej

IIRC, many plasmas are in the 20-30ms range so I would go for one of these sets with a Full HD resolution personally, rather than buying a bottom-of-the-range, lower resolution set purely for an improvement of a few ms, unless budget is an issue ?

PS3 gaming on my GT30, for example, is fantastic with no noticeable lag.

Are you sure that Xbox360 games are all 1080p ? Most PS3 games are 720p.

The TV would have to downscale a 720p or 1080p game to 1024x768, which might involve some processing ?

TimbeS

Novice Member
IIRC, many plasmas are in the 20-30ms range so I would go for one of these sets with a Full HD resolution personally, rather than buying a bottom-of-the-range, lower resolution set purely for an improvement of a few ms, unless budget is an issue ?

PS3 gaming on my GT30, for example, is fantastic with no noticeable lag.

Are you sure that Xbox360 games are all 1080p ? Most PS3 games are 720p.

The TV would have to downscale a 720p or 1080p game to 1024x768, which might involve some processing ?
Budget is unfortunately an issue... This tv costs now 430€ here, and cheapest fullHD plasma is around 700€.

All xbox games that I play are 1080p. I only play NHL12, MW3 and forza 4.
On the back of MW3 and NHL it says HDTV720p/1080i/1080p and forza HDTV480p/720p/1080p.

leeroysilk

Novice Member
Most console games are not true 1080p, they're upscaled to 1080p. Plus, I would doubt that you would tell the difference anyway, I play games such as Pro Evo and MW on my Panasonic G20, the latter is 1080p and the other 720p, the picture quality is great regardless of supposed resolution. I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080p games.

Lee :)

TimbeS

Novice Member
Most console games are not true 1080p, they're upscaled to 1080p. Plus, I would doubt that you would tell the difference anyway, I play games such as Pro Evo and MW on my Panasonic G20, the latter is 1080p and the other 720p, the picture quality is great regardless of supposed resolution. I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080p games.

My english is not perfect. What I understood that you talked about graphichs, not input lag. Input lag is the part that im worried about, not graphics or resolution! Maybe ill buy the TV and see how it works, then return it if its bad.

leeroysilk

Novice Member
My father has just bought the same TV that you're looking at, from various reviews it has the lowest input lag of all the Panasonic TV at 16ms which is fast. My G20 isn't as quick as that and I don't see or experience any input lag on fast playing games.

Don't worry about it, it will be fine and your gaming experience should be faultless.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom