1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD TV for £500????

Discussion in 'TVs' started by JonnyConcrete, Sep 12, 2005.

1. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I want to be Hd Ready for the release of the XBOX360...

I was going to get a HD projector to replace my rear proj tv but I cant get a decent price for it so instead I want to replace my monitor with a lcd TV.

Can I get a HD TV for £500 that will run the XBOX360, PS3 and my PC properly?

Seeing as my monitor is 17" any increase in size would be an impovement..

Links to some bargains would be appreciated :D

Could possible push to £600

2. cmb101

cmb101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  3. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Nice..... :thumbsup:

I might invest in 1 of these

any better deals any1????????

4. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47

26" is just too tiny for HD. 32" minimum I wouls say preferably 37 or 42". This is the size I will go for soon. Btw I see unbeatable's site is still down. Anyone know when it is meant to be back ?

5. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190

Why is 26" too small for HD??????????????????????

6. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Because bigger is better :p

But seriously, the pixel pitch on smaller screens is small enough to provide a sharp image, you only really notice the lack of sharpness on the larger screens because the pixel count isn't condesned into as small a space, hence why high def comes into play, it crams more pixels onto the screen lowering the pixel pitch and allowing very fine images on large displays, and the larger it is the more noticable the detail is. It seems you can get high def CRT screens by samsung for about £500 in decent sizes, i'll see if i can find the link.

7. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Here you go, a 32" high def slimfit CRT £479.99 inc. VAT @ 17.5%

http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=5172&c=1354192&guid=&s=&sm=

Could be what you're looking for, ask about before you buy though, it only seems to support interlaced images aside from 480p and I dont know as much as some of the guys on these forums so it would be worth investigating before buying.

8. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hmmmmmm that looks nice but im not sure if it will fit on my desk...... remember i am replacing my monitor so im not sitting very far away from the screen so 26" would be big enuff :thumbsup:
    That crt might be a bit too deep ill move my furniture around see if I can get it to fit.

Has this tv got the right spec to run the xbox360 to its full potential.

9. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Unbeatable are in Administration. Have a search in the forums for it and you'll find a couple of threads about them

Cheers

Andy

10. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The CRT is not 'HD Ready', as it does not state support for 720p resolution (hence no-go for Sky-HD or for most Xbox 360 games) and it does not have a digital video connection with HDCP compatibility. DigiUK need a wrist-slapping for that one!

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Wrist slapping done!

12. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Any1 know where I can get the Samsung LE23R41B at a good price?????

Then again this isnt HD is it??????

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The 26 inch new Samsung is great for HD, and 26 inch is fine for HD, bigger is not always better, even with HD.

14. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47

Hmm this is bad news, I was hoping to buy a HD TV from them next year. They use to be Capital Cameras, brought technics hi-fi stuff there in 1989

15. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yes what a shame seems to be an ideal TV as it will last much longer than a LCD and plasma, perhaps Samsung will bring out a mark 2 version with the needed DV connection at least

16. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure it really fits the full bill, but the Dell 24" LCD computer monitor produces a superb image for the price (1920*1200)

Ok, it's ain't going to cope with HDCP, but component in could be of use if the 1st sky boxes that hopefully have component out, then you're left with d-sub and dvi connections both of which should be usable for the Xbox360 and PS3.

For 600 notes you're not going to get a full HD panel anywhere else for this cash just yet - it'll hopefully tide you over for 12 to 18 months when bigger cheaper 1080 sets hit the market whereupon you'll have a bigger chioce.

(And if you've got access to downloadable Hidef content, it looks excellent via you PC on this screen)

IMO I'd rather have the full 1080 smaller panel than a larger 720 one - I've watched quite a bit of stuff on my AE500 and I prefer the sharpness offered by the Dell panel!

17. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Another one to look at here - £559 including delivery and a three year guarantee.

Cheers,

Martin.

18. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    But you can get a Samsung 26" LCD for £600 - which has component input (no need for a VGA lead for Xbox). Isn't the 26" Samsung a HD panel?

19. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    26" LCDs are more than suitable for HD games playing, especially if youre only a few feet away from the screen. Ive played Hidef wmv xbox 360 demos and the batman begins trailer on my Sharp and its stunning.

"Size is always better" doesnt help when youve got limitations with budget and location of the TV set.

20. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

...it's not a 1080 screen though - the Dell is (well, 1200 - I don't mind the black bars, small price to pay IMO)

21. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    It's HD Ready so it'll do 1080i - it's bigger, it has component input - I don't see the advantage of the Dell. Especially since you need to spend an extra £20 on a lead to plug it into the 360.

22. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

......the Dell has a full 1920 * 1200 panel unlike the Samsung which will only do native 720, it'd have to scale 1080 stuff - hence the image won't be as good. I've used HD 1080 stuff on my fathers 26" Xelos and although I was impressed, it wasn't as crisp as on the Dell. The Dell does have component input as well (as well as s-video and composite)

23. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Right, but the Xbox360 does 720p natively, so why would it matter? And I'd rather have something in progressive scan than interlaced, so 1080i isn't even a concern.

24. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    And the Dell costs £1000.

25. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Xbox doesnt do 720p natively, it does 480i, 480p, 576i, 720p and 1080i all at the user's requirements. It doesnt have a native resolution as it doesnt have a display.

If you go for the Samsung you won't get native 720p, because the Samsung has a 1366 x 768 native resolution, so it will have to scale the picture. Unless you can get a PC connected at 1366 x 768, then (depending on the quality of the scaler) 720p will probably provide the best picture. I think that a PC is the only device that will output a 1366 x 768 picture.

The Dell will display a higher resolution picture - 1920 x 1080i - albeit with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. It won't need to scale the picture as this resolution will fit within its native resolution of 1920 x 1200, it just won't use the full vertical resolution of it's own panel. To most peoples eyes a higher resolution picture is better, but the black bars may be off-putting.

Getting back on topic I believe that the Samsung 26" is probably the nearest answer to the HDTV for £500.
    Rogeralpine where did you get the Dell from and for how much?

26. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil,

I got my own Dell TFT several months ago when they screwed up on the BOGOF offer (my order was cancelled :mad: ) and I ended up buying one off an associate for £550. The other week though I bought one for my Dad off eBay - those that are familiar with the DVDforums bargain forum will know there is a lengthy thread about this monitor (there are a few) in which a chap on eBay known as QPRfootball club was selling them for £614 delivered. (There are other re-sellers out there that seem as reliable, but most members have bought theirs from QPR who, IMHO, is one of the best eBayers I've come across - highly recommended - oh, and these are Dell 1st hand goods (not brown box) and come with the full 3 yr warranty)

The screen maybe a grand on Dell's site, but those that know them well will know that the price fluctuates literally daily and means jack **** - just wait for them to drop the price, which they will, the other week it was around the £680 mark delivered.

I never indicated that the Dell was the best option - I said it may not fit the full bill; it does have it's limitations, but for me at the moment the fact it can display 1080 stuff without scaling is a big plus for me and I can certainly see the difference when comparing the same material on a screen like the Samsung's ( the 26" Xelos my dad has is the same res from memory - 1366 x 768 - and the Xelos was fed from a PC with the screen already set at the right resolution, so all in a good comparison)

If you're viewing the material in a reasonably sized lounge and you're going to be sat more than 6ft away then I can perhaps agree that a larger screen would be more appropriate even if it is a lower resolution. Ity all depends on how good your eyesight though.

27. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Ah right, then the default output it has is 720p, then it either up or downscales depending on the display.

But you'll still be getting a larger image and no black bars with the Samsung, not to mention they use the Samsungs on the demo pods for Xbox 360s.

28. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...no, the XB360 doesn't need to scale because it's the source of the material and like a PC, the user can define the output - assuming the game supports the graphic mode that is.

So with games in 1080i, the Dell wouldn't need to scale the image. Therefore if you had the Samsung, or similar sized resolution panel, 720p would be the best default option in order to minimise the amount of scaling that is going on. (Or not as the case maybe if the panel is 1280 x 720)

I'll certainly be comparing closely games running in 720p against 1080i - seeing the Gamecube operate in both i and p, the latter may well be the best option (for me) on the XB360 even if there is a loss in resolution. As to which is best, I don't think we should go there? :D

29. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that Cleardragon one seems too good to be true!! £559

Interface
    SCART 1 : CVBS IN & RGB IN & TV OUT (EU) Full SCART
    SCART 2 : CVBS In & Monitor out (EU) Half SCART
    COMPOSITE 1 (USA) RCA
    COMPOSITE 2 (USA) RCA
    S_VIDEO Yes
    DVD (Y/Pb/Pr,AUDIO L/R IN) Yes
    PC In (15P D-SUB) Yes
    PC Audio in DVI (HDCP) HDMI Yes
    SPDIF(Optical) OUTPUT Yes
    HDTV READY (480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i) Y/Pb/Pr, RGB, DVI, HDMI

30. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Also, if you speak with Patrick at Cleardragon, he seems to be very helpful.

Cheers,

Martin.