HD to VGA not filling the screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by frank.leggett, Jan 5, 2012.

1. frank.leggett

frank.leggett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking for a solution which will convert HD content to display over a VGA network. We have a number of site where they have plasmas feed from a VGA Matrix and we want to add the ability to show HD video into the matrix. Unfortunately no matter what resolutions we set for the scaler the picture doesn't quite fill the screen it is either 50 or so pixels in or 50 or so pixels short. The screens native resolution is 1366x768 but even this resolution leaves a 50 pixels black strip on the left edge.
    Source
    HD-SDI
    Scaler
    Atlona SDI to VGA
    Also we would prefer to use HD Native resolutions like 720p or 1080i because these are available in 50hz so there is no jitter with the PAL SDI source.

Other scalers and options tried
    SDI to HDMI converter
    into
    HDMI scaler
    into
    HDFury outputed to VGA Matrix

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    Have you tried sending 1080i from the scaler to the matrix?
    Have you confirmed that the VGA connector in the plasmas actually accepts and recognises hd video resolutions as hd video resolutions? I have seen plenty of times where a plasma sees WXGA as 720p and loads up wrong geometry etc....or the opposite and thinks 720p is actually XGA....I'd check whether the plasma will do what you want without any other boxes in line before i go any further.

p.s. what is/are the plasma displays....if they 1366x768 sounds like panasonic glass...if it's in a afuji then they don't accept native res at 50 only 1360 x [email protected] so you get little black bars at left and right...

3. frank.leggett

frank.leggett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried 1080i from the scaler to the matrix and the image is green. The last lot of screens I tested are Samsung Data panels not TV's which are a mix of 1366x768 60hz native resolution and 1024x768 60hz. I have managed to get 720p via a HDFury to display in colour but there is still the black bar on the left edge where the image isn't filling the screen. I wondered if there was some scaler on the market (TVone, Gefen, Atlona etc) that would solve the problem.

Thanks

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    That depends on where the problem is...if the issue is the hd fury cocking things up then a different scaler might not help. There are plenty of scalers that have the ability to alter their output timings. The ones I distribute, Lumagen, do for a start. If the fury is then changing timings it receives though you are out of luck. where abouts in teh country are you frank?

5. frank.leggett

frank.leggett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm in Sussex but I work all over the country. The HDFury is just one way I've used to convert the HD source to VGA. The source material is all non HDCP material so that isn't a factor. Ideally I would convert the footage from it's raw HD-SDI native resolution to a VGA resolution that the Plasmas performed best with.

Frank

6. frank.leggett

frank.leggett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon,

Did more tests today using a 576i SDI source converted to VGA using a Atlona SDI to VGA scaler.
    The screens are a mixture of Samsung Data Panels some are 1024x768 native and some are 1366x768 native.
    I tried both of these resolutions and neither filled the screen usually underscaning on the right and leaving a black strip on the left. Some screens looked OK then I realised they were filling the screen but not showing 10-15% of the left hand side of the source. The screens by the way were all set to 16:9 and don't have any panoramic or stretch options.
    I tried a lot of other resolutions but non of the them filled the screen. This seems more like a problem with the output of the scaler.
    Finally the scaler when asked to use HD TV resolutions 1080i or 720p show a green picture instead.
    The VGA output from the scaler is distrubited to a Extron VGA Matrix then into "Mauve Systems" Duplicat VGA to Cat 5 distributors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Frank

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    The HDFury3 has horizontal shift controls (two buttons on the side) - perhaps that would solve your problem.

8. frank.leggett

frank.leggett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a HDFury 3 as well so I will try this thanks.

Frank