HD through optical

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by scouse258, Aug 4, 2006.

1. scouse258

scouse258
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok - this is the third time its happened so i dont believe it can be my other equipment - sometimes the sound through the optical cable stops

i unplug it time and time again but i cant get it back on for quite while. when i put the cable into the dvd player then it plays the sound from this source.

how possible is it that the optical connection on the sky hd box is knackered - is this a common fault?

2. CG121

CG121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Considering the build quality (or lack of it) of both the HD box and the software, I would say that it's very likely the HD box is the cause of your sound issue...

Although more likely to be a specific fault with your output, we all know that $ky have always had AC3 issues....

As they have no interest in researching the fault (through no competition) we're unlikely to see a resolution for a while (if ever)

I've noticed a few problems with DD5.1 sound, mainly on scenes of intense movement with high contrast, which would appear to indicate a peak in resources within the en/de coding stage that may affect the audio latency...

However, without the ability to monitor the program stream from playout through to the box output (which $ky should've done) it's impossible to say why it happens..

TBH, it's not prevalent enough for me to consider it a major flaw, but it's annoying none the less.
    It doesn't cause minutes of silence though and certainly doesn't require the cable be removed...

I know it does get considerably worse on different amps though...

Anyone beginning to see a simularity between this and the recent HDMI compatability issue...

If $ky continue to produce sub standard products through being unable to fully test them due to last minute release dates, we'll all soon need to buy $ky amps and $ky TV's...
    Although that may not guarantee fault free viewing considering they can't make the $ky PVR software and $ky +/HD box work together...

Micro$oft would've given their right arm to restrict their software to proprietory hardware, but not having that option resulted in a more stable platform through continual development. Technically more challenging which later proved to be the secret of their financial success......OEM..

& yes, as much as I hate to admit it, NT/2K/XP have been significantly more stable than anything from $ky which is indeed a great feat considering their complexity over the outdated more simplistic PVR from $ky.....

So fingers crossed it's just (another) faulty box and not the unknown issue between $ky and your AC3 amp....

3. suffolktoon

suffolktoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    This has happened on mine as well. However, I tend to record and play later so it hasn't been a real problem, but it is annoying.

4. Nicky1964

Nicky1964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have noticed a short sound drop when I play back recordings

hd or sd and its BOTH the hdmi and optical

it may just be the sky box locking in but can be destructing sometimes