HD Streamer or DVD player

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Scoob, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I posted this in the DVD section and got *almost* 1 reply :rolleyes: so thought perhaps the HiDef peeps might have an opinion on this:

My Marantz DVD player has died on me and I was going to the the Oppo as a replacement. However, I've been reading up on these media streaming boxes (Kiss 600, Buffalo etc) and they seem quite interesting, but, are they any good to someone that doesn't already have a large collection of media files sat on a hard drive? I don't download films or music (at least at the moment) but I do have a library full of DVDs and CDs and it would be nice to be able to just bung them onto a hard drive so I have a virtual DVD/CD changer.
    So, a few questions.....
    How would I get the DVD onto the hard drive? Rip it as an ISO image? Can the media player boxes use these so it would play exactly as if a DVD was in a player? Is there a better way?
    I know I can rip CDs into MP3 so no problems there.
    Do any of these streamers have a DVD drive as well (for when I hire a film), HDMI/DVI output, upscaling etc?
    Just really after some general opinions, thoughts, experiences etc

So many questions - look forward to your replies

2. tugboatbill

tugboatbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Scoob,

I hope that some peeps answer this one because I am also interested in knowing more about HD Streaming boxes vs DVD players. Along with all of your questions I wonder if they actually upscale old mpeg or avi files?

I too have many, many dvd's and cd's along with mp3's and a few old mpeg's and avi's, I also heard today that Universal are going to start supplying downloadable movies without a DRM restricion so it may well be the way to go. Does the quality of a streaming box equal a good dvd player though??

3. nutrut

nutrut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I can tell you what i know and hopefully people will add.

I have a Snazio 1350 and a Kiss 600 both in my opinion (contraversially) the same. Both come with a dvd drive built in as well( the snazio model below comes without drive), snazio has dvi output kiss has hdmi so you can play HD files on lcd/plasma + upscaling, they also have analogue(scart etc).

So far the snazio is more established in streaming from pc, but future promised firmware for kiss 600 should be fixing its little network probs (remember kiss has been out only for a little over 2 weeks).
    Both can be hard wired or use wifi for streaming.
    Both software for the pc is very easy to use.

For putting dvd onto hard drive i would recomend converting them to Divx or Xvid at a bitrate you are comftable with depending on your hard drive capacity. Free programs can do this effortlessly. Its exactly the same princable as converting cd to mp3 in this case its Mp4.

Hope this helps a little

4. ginger123456

ginger123456

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi I have a hd streamer sat under my plasma, its not your normal streamer, its called a Tarakan HD Streamer made by digitalzone (korea)sold in states i believe by Synet, which originally was provided to help demonstrate the differences between analogue and digital in a retail environment, it has 1 composite 1 svideo 5 component 1 dvi 1 hdmi and all can be used at the same time connected to 9 different tv's, it will kick out at 45MBts which is up to 8 times more info than a normal dvd player. It will play mpeg 1&2 streams wmvhd and ts divx hd and converted vobs, i have not had it long but am messing around with it to figure out its full capabilities, it has a dvd-rom drive and a 80gb hard drive, files have to be downloaded onto the hard drive for it to play, the pictures are simply stunning, the unit is very expensive, i payed a lot less second hand :D but i figured it would look better than a pc stuck under the plasma.

5. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218

I've been trying to find out about the kiss player for ages, are there any reviews of it around and most importatnly does it play ts files?

6. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I have a Showcenter 200, and have so far ripped just over 40 of our favourite DVDs onto an external HDD. What I do is:
    - Rip the DVD using DVD-Decrypter.
    - Re-encode to XViD using AutoGK. This helps reduce the size of eahch movie down to an average of under 2GB.

This works great, and lets us play any of these movies by just selecting from the menu. I also get the benefits of progressive display via. component leads, and decent scaling in the SC200 box. And no annoying menus, no disney non-skippable trailers, etc. Just the movie, in progressive scaled format, with the DD5.1 soundtrack. It's what our SC200 gets used for most now, aside from the occasional HiDef download like "24".

7. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks folks, looks like a big NAS and a streaming box may be the way to go then.
    I guess this raises a couple of questions then....
    What's the best format for ripping a DVD? It's absolutely critical that I maintain the best possible quality, 50" TV tends to show any compression artifacts.
    What's the best streamer to go for?
    Cheers

8. tugboatbill

tugboatbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you nutrur, ginger123456 and cjgpers.

It's rather difficult to understand the concept of a streaming device when all I have used in the past is a dvd player - but your comments have enlightened me. It is the way forward for me so all I will have to do is decide on the Snazio or Kiss. :)

Will I be able to send mp3 files to either of them by wi-fi from my laptop and them play them through my system?

9. ginger123456

ginger123456

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi, if you have a streamer and can play ts files, to maintain the original it needs to be decripted if you know what i mean use a prog like smartripper once you have vob files on hard drive you can rename to .ts and burn to disc, i load these files to my streamer then play them that way. I have only done this once so far so still learning myself, anyway clip pq was better than from dvd player hope this helps

10. Spoonhead

Spoonhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Just ordered the Buffalo Link Theater from here http://www.transparent.uk.com/acatalog/BuffaloMultimedia.html
    Being delivered tomorrow.

I had a big discount voucher at Amazon so ordered from there the Terastation 1.0TB NAS. But their bundles look good value as well.

It's missing a DVI output like the SNAZIO but does have component to 1080i. Looks reasonably well supported as well.

Gazza

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Hello all

Scoob - for DVD playback you'll have to try a bit of experimentation to find an encode and playback set-up that doesn't drop off picture quality if your going to 'Library' your discs.

You'll also have to ensure the encoded format gives you enough 'interactivity' if you like to jump around within a movie as often you loose a lot of 'functionality' once you encode to a data file format.

The SnaZio SZ1350 is a relatively decent DVD player - though some folk find them slightly 'clunky' compared with a 'regular' DVD player.

The SnaZio SZ1350 can up-convert DVD Video discs to 720P and 1080i on Analogue Component (YPbPr) or Digital DVI (non HDCP) - you can also up-convert to many standard 'PC' formats such as 1024x768, 1366x768 etc on the DVI output.

The SnaZio SZ1310 is the non DVD drive version and from today is sub £170.00 - so may for some be more of a temptation alongside a Mid to High End DVD player.

Once you see the SnaZio stream and output High Definition files you'll see just how good your Display can be.

For some folk an ideal set-up with your Display will be to use the SZ1350 + external Video Processor into the Display or an SZ1310 + DVD player + external Video Processor.

Best regards

Joe

12. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Joe.
    I've got a copy of DVD Decryptor that seems to rip everything off a DVD and give me lots of .vob, .ifo and .bup files. I am assuming that these would enable me to have complete functionality of playback as if a DVD were in the drive (menus, special features etc)- is the Snazio capable of handling this sort of thing? I would ideally just want to point the streamer at the directory the rip is stored in and let it sort it out, it's going to be a royal PITA if I have to open each file individually.
    So far the Snazio seems to tick all of the boxes but reading a few threads on here, it seems to have some problems still. I'm guessing that these will be sorted in upcoming firmware releases? One of the things that is drawing me to the Oppo is the superb support they offer.

13. DannyLizard

DannyLizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also one to consider is the TVIX HD M5000U, is knocks the socks off the showcenter 200 and its played just about everything i've got in HD without problems including those troublesome Nasa clips, I'm now going to rip all my fav DVD's into ISO's.

The DVI output makes allot of difference over component, i wouldnt consider a HD player/streamer now without it having a digital out, I almost wet myself when a played back The Empire Strikes Back ISO though the Tvix via DVI :eek:

14. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10