HD STB DVI to Hitachi Plasma (needs audio)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by johnnyhonk, Nov 8, 2004.

1. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy,

My STB has a DVI connector. So I bought a DVI-D Cable today to test it (genuine monster cable: rip off price $420 for 4m) and yep, the picture is brilliant. I haven't tried an el'cheapo DVI cable, so I cannot compare cheap versus outrageous. But for the record, I think the DVI picture is much better than the $100 cables I use for component. So its probably worth it.

Problem.

Because I am not connecting this through an amp or anything yet, how can I connect it to the TV? The Hitachi shows that RGB1, has its own 3.5mm audio jack. The manual is not entirely clear, so my foolish assumption here is that I will need to output from the STB to this bollocky 3.5mm jack.

The STB has only Composite or Optical Out. Is there such thing as an Optical cable to 3.5mm?

I know that because I am not using an amp and real speakers the sound is going to be crap no matter what I put in there, but I am interstate on business anyway, and this plasma is in my hotel room until I return home in a few months (yes, it is insured :)). I just need sound.

Any recommendations? Or is the best solution a useless 2xRCA to 3.5mm cable from cables'r'us?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    how were you connected for sound before you bought the DVi cable? 2 RCA to 3.5mm Jack is probably the best bet
    .......$420 for a 4m DVi-D!!! ARE yo mad Better Cables are far less than that even Silver serpent stuff