1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Standards

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Clippy, May 16, 2005.

1. Clippy

Clippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can a genuine HD signal be passed to a TV via an RGB Scart? I have always had it in my head that VGA/DVI would be the only method. Would the RGB method address every pixel? I have an argument going on with a large retailer and I don't have the technical knowledge to argue this point. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks. ;)

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I would be interested to hear which display product can accept an HD signal though its SCART socket....and also which display device actually outputs a hidef signal through a scart socket.......

Doesn't have to be a HD15/VGA socket or a DVI socket....could be an HDMI socket or 3 rca's for component or 5 rca's for rgbhv or perhaps BNC's for the previous two instead of RCA's..but SCART?

Gordon

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Depends on what you mean by "a genuine HD signal". Theoretically, a 720p signal could be passed via RGB, but the interface would be analogue, and a DVI interface is digital. RGB would be unlikely to cope with 1080i.

Many HD boxes will have scart as well as DVI outputs, but the scart outputs will be downscaled to ordinary 625 line signals.

4. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Of course, there are some devices which can be configured to output a component signal through a SCART socket (and presumably some which will do component in through a SCART socket) so you might be able to do HD through one of these...

5. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Interesting that you should say that - I was under the impression that the data transfer requirements for 720p and 1080i were very similar. If the cable can handle one, surely it can handle the other?

There's nothing (except HDCP) to stop a High Def signal from being convered into RGB, however does anyone supply any equipment capable of accepting and decoding the signal..?

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    There is no real reason why analogue RGB or analogue component HDTV signals - 720p or 1080i - couldn't be carried via SCART, 3 or 4xBNCs, VGA-15, or phonos.

The only issue is that the SCART connector is a standard - and is designed to carry SDTV RGB - any other signal is out of spec. (Though some DVD players and displays will carry component rather than RGB over SCART)

At the end of the day - there is little difference between the bits of metal that make SCART pins, and the bits of metal that make VGA-15 D-type pins... The quality of the cable is an issue - and phono/BNC connections are individually shielded so likely to be higher quality.

7. Clippy

Clippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply's guys, although there seems some debate (no wonder I'm confused). I have just agreed to swap my Sagem 50' for one of the new 45's. Have to say the 45' model has a more pronounced 'fly screen' image and I'm not taken with the speaker they have 'slapped' under it. Mustn't complain though!!

Cheers again. :thumbsup:

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I had a good look at the DLP RPTVs on sale in John Lewis today - and the "fly screen" effect was probably the most noticable viewing issue for me.