1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Sport on Sky

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by stevearliss, Mar 22, 2005.

1. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it me or is the picture quality of live sport (football/rugby) on Sky pretty poor.

How do Sky expect to handle the massive increase in bandwidth of HD broadcasts if the quality of what they currently broadcast is so poor. I appreciate that with some third party channels it is down to how they use their bandwidth (i.e. Red Dwarf on BBC is better quality than UKGold) but even Sky Sports channels seem to be worse than they used to be; this is presumably due to the extra interactive stuff they squeeze on to each channel (e.g. watch one of 6 matches on the same channel).

If they can't deliver a decent picture now I don't see how they can manage HD, especially with sport as it requires so much more info due to the fast movement and crowd (exept England matches that is; football or rugby!).

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Footy are the normal SKY sports channels can be variable (Never as bad as on the BBC or ITV though) but the PQ on Prem Plus is always very good.
    I suspect the use of stat muxing on the transponders that carry SKY sports channels is once again proving how weak the system is for some content:(

Standard digital broadcasting was introduced as an economic measure, it reduced the costs of broadcasting and PQ was never a big issue for it's introduction. High Def however is more expensive to broadcast and it's only real selling point is the higher PQ which is why I expect SKY's broadcasts to be every bit as good as the US channels can be and time will tell how they compare to hd-dvd and blu-ray.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,974
    Match Of The Day on Saturday was a huge improvement to the pixelated rubbish we usually get! They must have reduced the compression ratio.