::: HD sound hdmi pass through with Sony AF9 and other Sony Android Oreo eARC enabled TVs :::

HPSauce1

Standard Member
Dear All

I have seen a few threads on this topic that cover parts of the picture. I have extensively researched, tested and put this issue to Sony with little understanding, feedback or definitive answers on their part.

SET UP - Sony AF9 running Android Oreo, Sony eARC enabled avr connected via the eARC ports with quality high speed tested cable, 7.1 speaker set up.

PROBLEM - Unable to passthrough HD (uncompressed) sound from third party apps on the TV like plex, kodi and others which 100% (been tested by looking at output logs) are passing direct uncompressed audio like DTS-HD Master, Dolby TruHD etc. I have been through all the settings on the TV myself and with Sony, ensuring they are correctly configured. If I use PCM, the sound is output to the AMP as 2 channel stereo. If I use Auto 1 or Auto 2 which compresses the sound first, dolby digital + is output.

I know the TV can pass through HD sound down eARC as it will pass through audio to AVR from a a BluRay player connected to the TV (this has been tested). Before anyone mentions Netflix etc. I am well aware that the surround sound for these streaming apps is compressed and will be equivalent to Dolby Digital + bandwidth and I am not referring to these sorts of apps.

The fact is we know the TV can passthrough uncompressed sound via eArc but appears not to work with third party apps on Android Oreo. I have struggled to get Sony helpdesk to understand this point even though they admit and advertise the TV can do it. Initially they said it must be the apps fault even though they did not understand the problem and the fact that it can be proved its not the app. I finally came across one helpdesk agent that understands the problem but can't seem to find an answer himself. Trawling other forums again no one seems to have an answer either; infact Sony seem hell bent on being as vague as possible on either acknowledging or addressing this issue.

It is highly frustrating when you spend lots of money on sets based on their specs that in practice don't work as the manufacturers advertised. I wish TV makers would just stick to making a great screen and package an nVidia shield or other similar set top box with it as they are useless with the media streaming aspect of the hardware.

I have found workaorunds to this like using dlna and such, but it would be so much more convenient and frankly expected for the integrated apps to work as they should.

Any solutions, anyone had a definitive answer from Sony ?

kinggo

not gonna happen.....Apps depend on SoC which does not support passthrough of lossless formats.

HPSauce1

Standard Member
Thanks Kinggo, however what I don't understand is:

1. The Sony AF9 has an SoC as otherwise it couldn't power Android Oreo, the SoC is supplied by mediatek i believe. Is it that it is just a poorly spec'ed SoC.

2. I assume (outside the apps) the TV is passing through lossless format through other hardware in the TV, is there not a way in theory that the Sony/Android developers could work together and solve this?

Either way, it is very disappointing.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

kinggo

MediaCRAP SoC is simply not designed to do that. Just like so many other things which are norm in android world. Ther SoC is more focused on TV/broadcast stuff than on actual smart part of the TV.
And passthrough from external devices are done outside of SoC, SONY stuff are doing that.
And don't think that will change in the future. Even DTS over ARC whic is now finally supported through official android API is broken beyond usable for me.

HPSauce1

Standard Member
Thanks so much for that. I wish Sony would just come out and say that as half the staff in the Sony shops and helpdesk are inadvertently misselling. This might explain why they are being so vague.

I may have to begrudingly invest in an nvida shield or xbox and sell my sony uhd player to finance it.

Cheers

kinggo

The same goes for any other smart TV platform out there....... not much more then embedded systems with limited life span

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Thanks so much for that. I wish Sony would just come out and say that as half the staff in the Sony shops and helpdesk are inadvertently misselling. This might explain why they are being so vague.

I may have to begrudingly invest in an nvida shield or xbox and sell my sony uhd player to finance it.

Cheers
In that case LG should do the same ,as none of their eARC sets can do what you ask either

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom