HD Sound formats? movies on demand?

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, do Virgin transmit any of the new HD sound formats at all e.g. DDTS-HD Master Audio/Dolby TrueHD for there movie's on demand etc or is its just standard DD 5.1?

I have tried talking to Virgin even one of there managers & they don't seem to have a clue ?

99% sure it's vanilla 5.1.

I don't think anyone broadcasts HD audio formats because they take up too much bandwidth, which if it were free, would be better going into the picture imo.

THe most you can currently expect from any TV broadcast anywhere in the world is Dolby Digital+. Dolby Digital 5.1 is the best you'll currently get in the UK.

The only content currently encoded with to lossless HD formats is that found on Blue-ray discs. The bandwidth requirements would be a major hurdle when it comes to using such formats for TV broadcasts.

Dolby Digital+ is set to replace standard Dolby Digital and is already an excepted audio standard for TV broadcasts. This will still not be a HD format, but it will be able to carry up to 8 channels of audio for discrete 7.1. DD+ is also capable of a Sample rate of up to 96kHz and a bit rate of up to 6 Mbit/s. Standard Dolby Digital is restricted to 48kHz and a maximum constant bit rate of up to 640kbps.

There's nothing as yet broadcast in the UK that utilises DD+.

Christ aren't six speakers enough

THe most you can currently expect from any TV broadcast anywhere in the world is Dolby Digital+. Dolby Digital 5.1 is the best you'll currently get in the UK.

The only content currently encoded with to lossless HD formats is that found on Blue-ray discs. The bandwidth requirements would be a major hurdle when it comes to using such formats for TV broadcasts.

Who would have though it would take up so much bandwidth, to get good sound, well as long as its 5.1 am happy enough as its not just the picture but the sounds that's important as well, well tis to me anyway :)

Dolby Digital+ is set to replace standard Dolby Digital and is already an excepted audio standard for TV broadcasts. This will still not be a HD format, but it will be able to carry up to 8 channels of audio for discrete 7.1. DD+ is also capable of a Sample rate of up to 96kHz and a bit rate of up to 6 Mbit/s. Standard Dolby Digital is restricted to 48kHz and a maximum constant bit rate of up to 640kbps.

There's nothing as yet broadcast in the UK that utilises DD+.

Thank you that's very informative as i wasnt aware of DD+ very interesting.

Christ aren't six speakers enough

Yes, they are, for me anyway.

Nope not for me i love my 7.1 set up have had it for almost 10 years now :)

What gets my goat is that BBC HD can't even be bothered to do that, the vast majority of the time :thumbsdow

Well am about to find this out as am upgrading to HD at long last :rolleyes:.

Unless you have a seriously big room then you won't get the benefits

My room is big enough for my old THX Kef's so i dont see to much of a problem there plus i have no neighbours, which is handy as the older i get the more i find myself turning up that volume :smashin:

It should be noted that the vast majority of HD audio encoded Blue-rays are only 5.1 and not 7.1. HD audio formats are not all 7.1 and this isn't the major advantage of these formats. The major benefits are those associated with the greater bit depth and higher bandwidth resulting in greater fidelity and increased dynamic range.

It should be noted that the vast majority of HD audio encoded Blue-rays are only 5.1 and not 7.1. HD audio formats are not all 7.1 and this isn't the major advantage of these formats. The major benefits are those associated with the greater bit depth and higher bandwidth resulting in greater fidelity and increased dynamic range.

I think there a few 7.1 e.g. hellboy 2 etc but your right most are 5.1, if you go to THX websight & look at the Dolby® TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio™ Set Up
Surround Sound Speaker Set Up « THX.com

It seems to implie that these formats use's back surrounds ? still i guess that 7.1 movies only, still I must say that i am very much looking forwards to hearing these new formats (well to me anyway) as you say greater fidelity and increased dynamic range, should be fab, my first blur ray at the weekend :)

I think it only fair to mention that the difference between digital SD and HD isn't as dramatic as that experienced between analogue and digital. There is an improvement, but don't expect to be blown away by it or you'll be bitterly disappointed.

I think it only fair to mention that the difference between digital SD and HD isn't as dramatic as that experienced between analogue and digital. There is an improvement, but don't expect to be blown away by it or you'll be bitterly disappointed.

Thank you & understood. Blue rays films are the main reason for upgrade but seeing as i have virgin SD i thought why not go HD as well. Thank you for the advice is much appreciated.

Thank you & understood. Blue rays films are the main reason for upgrade but seeing as i have virgin SD i thought why not go HD as well. Thank you for the advice is much appreciated.

I was actually referring to the HD audio associated with Blue-ray.

Picture quality is another story and native HD video is noticeably better than SD ;)

I was actually referring to the HD audio associated with Blue-ray.

Picture quality is another story and native HD video is noticeably better than SD ;)

:D oh i see, well it will be intresting to compare just the same.

Well here are my sound observations & some views on my new Virgin + Box.

As has been mentioned vanilla DD 5.1 is the best I am going to get but just where you get it seems to be the issue for me.

Virgin+ Box (scientific Atlantic)
Hard-disk to noisy for my likening sounds like a clock ticking away in background , on standby it lights up better than my Christmas tree, very annoying indeed for me, & no off button!

Settings
Sound optical with HDMI override turned on my amps are an old Denon AVC-A10SE & POA-T10.
Picture setting HDMI output 1080 to a Pioneer KRL-37V (37 inch & I notice the difference straight away from the pervious SD-set-top box with scart)

Movies on Demand

Today's example
How to Train your Dragon (great film btw)
Sound 5.1 Dolby Digital (speaker lights correct)
Picture 1080i
Still seems a shame you don't get 1080p seeing as you paying a premium price for the watching these movies, why bother as a BR is much better tbh & at least it's yours.

TV

Channel 4
ICE AGE 2 The Meltdown pro logic no speaker lights
PQ pretty damn good

4 HD
Channel 4 ICE AGE 2 The Meltdown Dolby Digital 5.1 (speaker lights correct)
PQ better yes.

But I have noticed that a lot of HD movies etc only seem to come with digital pro logic sound even when watching in HD this I find a little disappointing.

Film 4
North by Northwest
Pro logic no speaker lights
PQ again pretty good

Film 4HD
North by Northwest
Digital pro logic two speaker lights left & right indicating stereo? still my amp & I are a little old & maybe we are getting confused !!!
PQ better & sharper but nothing compared to the BR & the sound well on the BR its Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby TrueHD 5.1, so what am I actually listening to on this Film4 HD transmission sound wise?

Best HD channels for me so far has to be National Geographic great picture great sound, next year I will be watching MotoGP for the first time in HD lets hope the BBC sort out there little issues !!! if not I hope Eurosport will have it on HD?

The V+ Box = All in all its worth it as viewing TV has just become a lot more fun, which at the end of the day is what its all about isn't it really?

I for one will not be renting anymore Movies on Demand as the quality just isnt there to justify the price.

p.s. the remote is an awful thing to use though !!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom