1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Sky Price Rumour

Discussion in 'TVs' started by paulfoley, Jul 11, 2005.

1. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Saw this over at the Digital Spy Forums & thought it looked interesting. I also feel that the price sounds about right e.g. the full package plus a tenner. Doesnt mention the HD Artsworld Channel though which has already been registered ? :

"Sky HD subscription price- £50 per month?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I've been told by a chap at Dixons that Sky's HD service next year will only be aimed at the high-end consumers, who will be willing to pay extra to watch the same content that will be available on their normal digital, but in high definition picture quality.

Apparently, the rumour going around is Sky's HD subscription will be at £50 per month, which as he put it, will basically be Sky Digital (as it is currently) in SD format with the normal Sky World pack, plus three channels in HD, mainly consisting of an archive of US tv programming, movies and sports (such as premiership football, WWF, American football, NBA etc in HD and special events/tournaments like World Cup football, Superbowl ).

So its really just Sky digital with an extra 'box office' like system, with HD programming, except that your paying for it in your monthly subscription.

I dont know how true this is or not, but he was pretty certain and felt the subscription price of £50 was going to be a minimum."

:thumbsup:

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    then they can stuff it.

I'm happy to pay £10 a month, possibly even more. But I only have the family pack right now, and am considering dropping to the '4 out of 6' version soon - pretty much only watch NickJr and SkyOne. £50 a month will be almost £35 a month more than I'll be paying - £45 if I do the multiroom thing with the old box.

Why assume that people that want HD want SD sky movies? If all the movie channels were HD as well, then maybe, but I assume they'll have HD box office anyway.

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Rumours, rumours........

4. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Bad news, I thought they would do a full on Sky HD release.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    if its a total of £50 a month to have the full channel line up, PVR system, skysports, and I can get all the regular premiership matches in hi def then I'd snap it up, personally. Can see how it wouldn't be so attractive for people who don't want sport though.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you want wild rumours then from the same DS thread take a look here.

I honestly don't know what this guys angle is except perhaps to get people into a certain AV retailer and perhaps get sold a new Plasma:)

As for SONY supplied SKY HD boxes well that looks like he read that incorrect press release a few months back when SONY meant they had HD displays that would work with a component output from SKY hardware.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Regardless of the unfounded rumours prices for the service I can not see it being anything but an additional package ontop of your existing SKY HD subscription.
    In time perhaps a standalone HD package may be an option but not from launch.

SKY would not want people cancelling SD subscriptions and take up a HD subscription which would mean they lost money and introducing HD is a route to a new revenue source not a replacement for another.