1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Sky, HDCP, etc - I am confused

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Gillykid, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, having purchased a HD ready projector last year, I like others are a little upset with Sky's decision to force the use of HDCP, possible rendering my unit unusable.

I am confused about just how the Sky HD service will now work. At present, information is sent to a Sky digi-box, which descrambles according to your card, then transmits (if applicable) to your screen.

So how is the new system going to work. If the service is designed to send encrypted information to the screen for it do descramble, at what point does the service decide what you can and can't watch? I assume this cannot be at the point of the television, and must be at the digi-box. If this is the case then why encrypt the final signal at all?

Or am I just going mad???

:rolleyes:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its to stop you making copies of the broadcast.........HDCP is the new copy protection system so once you have your box and card to allow you watch the broadcast signal of channels you pay for they then add HDCP to stop you recording it!!!!

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's the viewing card that tells the box what you can or cannot watch. However, it would be too easy to circumvent the card, if the data was not encrypted. The use of HDCP will give Sky a new level of power - the ability to prevent recording of the HDTV material. This is also a feature of the existing box, but is easy got around if you know how, but isn't so easy to do with HDCP.

4. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon is your name Kevin by any chance ?